BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have droven by this lake alot and never see anyone fishing ther exept the winter time ice fishing. just wondering why this lake isnt popular amoung fisherman and what species are avaliable in this lake?

·
Registered
21 Posts
You don't see many people fishing there because it is full of carp. Unless you want to fish for those guys I suggest going somewhere else if your looking for trout.
Although I've heard that chasing carp on a fly rod can be fun (sight casting) but is difficult since carp are very clever fish.

·
Retired Administrator
4,449 Posts
I've wondered the same thing. There must also be Perch, Pike Minnow and other coarse fish in there for people to want to ice fish there unless carp are taken through the ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Theres actually a good population of large mouth bass in there, very difficuly lake to fish but ive had some good luck out there fishing for bass in the spring.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
took the canoe out there yesterday you guys are right about the carp their absolutly everywhere and big to. the trout were feeding heavy but coulld only entice a couple but lost them. noticed some of the trout were very large definatly lots of feed in this lake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
took the canoe out there yesterday you guys are right about the carp their absolutly everywhere and big to. the trout were feeding heavy but coulld only entice a couple but lost them. noticed some of the trout were very large definatly lots of feed in this lake.
Could you actually see the carp, and were the in the shallows? I'm just wondering because I am considering going after them with my fly rod since it is close and all.

·
Retired Administrator
4,449 Posts
You actually saw trout in there? Rainbows or brookies? I know there is a small spawning creek (for Kokanee) in the area coming from Wood Lake and I think it might be connected to Duck Lake.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya i saw lots of trout hooked some to but the carp are almost impossible to target water is so murky and they spook really easy

·
Retired Administrator
4,449 Posts
Did you land any of the trout? Just wondering because Pike minnows can look like trout from above and when hooked they can feel like small trout. I just never heard of trout in that Lake. It's not stocked either.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Theres actually a good population of large mouth bass in there, very difficuly lake to fish but ive had some good luck out there fishing for bass in the spring.
We're talking about duck lake by the kelowna airport?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just looked that one up and the fish i caugh kinda has a long face than that one if it helps it is very slimy and has a squishy tummy

·
Retired Administrator
4,449 Posts
I'm still convinced this lake has only Carp, Pike Minnows, Perch and that's it. Someone prove to me Trout reside there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
I just moved to Turtle Lodge which is right beside Duck lake and been asking people (who lived here for decades) about the fish species in the lake and everybody told me that there is lots of carp and whitefish but also trout and kokanee in there. Because the lake is connected through two rivers with all the lakes around it. I myself caught there a couple carp and pikeminnows. No luck on trout or kokanee yet.
One guy even told me there supposed to be walleye/pickerel in there.

Going out there this friday. If I catch something I'll post a picture.

Regards
HS

·
Retired Administrator
4,449 Posts
Hi,
I just moved to Turtle Lodge which is right beside Duck lake and been asking people (who lived here for decades) about the fish species in the lake and everybody told me that there is lots of carp and whitefish but also trout and kokanee in there. Because the lake is connected through two rivers with all the lakes around it. I myself caught there a couple carp and pikeminnows. No luck on trout or kokanee yet.
One guy even told me there supposed to be walleye/pickerel in there.

Going out there this friday. If I catch something I'll post a picture.

Regards
HS
Thanks for offering to take a photo of any trout or Kokanee you catch in that lake. There are a few Rainbows in Wood Lake, that may wander down the creek to Duck for a look see, but doubt they stay there long. Wood used to have a lot more Rainbow but it isn't stocked most just try for Kokanee.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Speaking of catching trout in duck lake. I don't have much experience with trout and Kokanee can somebody give me some advice on bait and fishing technique.
I do have a 16' Gliding Eagle canoe with a MinnKota Traxxis 50 motor.

Thanks
Hs

1 - 20 of 26 Posts