BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't fished much in fresh water even though I grew up trolliong salmon in salt water.

I'd like to have a crack at some of the trout they stock here in the Lower Mainland though, but I can't catch 'em. What does it take to do that?

I managed to catch a couple hatchery trout at Rice Lake last year on a little yellow crocodile, but today though I had strikes on the crocodile again and lost one off a bright yellow blue fox spinner, I had otherwise very little action.

There were some other anglers that were catching them consistently, some with bobbers and another casting something.

So, sorry for the dumb question, it must seem easy to those in the know, but I can't figure it out; how do you catch these fish?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
When I take my kids there I usually just thread on a worm (some times powerbait red/pink or green; cuz' I usually have that on hand if I run out of worms) with a bobber, small wieght and 3-4 ft between bobber and worm (You can go deeper but the lakes only about 15 ft deep at the deepest)
Remember: I'm fishing with kids (birdsnests, rebaiting, etc;) so, It's as easy as I can make it while still being productive There's other things you can do (small silver or gold spoons on or off a bobber, vary your retrieve.....)
You can go deeper but it depends where you're casting from.
Timing changes things too.
Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
the only dumb question is the one you dont ask.... the method mentioned above is tried and tested and seems to always produce. Another method I found worked quite well in stocked lakes like Lafarge and Mike lake is to put an egg sinker on your mainline and then tie on a swivel. down from your swivel tie a 3-4 foot leader to a hook with a floating trout nugget from powerbait or something similar. when you cast, the weight obviously helps you get out there and then sink to the bottom and stop at the swivel. your hook will float 3-4 ft off the bottom. when the fish bites it doesnt pull the weight, just your line as it slides right through.

·
Registered
901 Posts
the only dumb question is the one you dont ask....
I think the only dumb question is the one you know the answer to

Try a single egg under a bobber with a slow retrieve or a small pink worm

·
Registered
181 Posts
Here's a neat trick you can try, Hatchery trout are imprinted to the sound of their food being tossed in the water in a course granular form. If you throw a handful of small pebbles or course sand in the lake it will bring fish to your boat looking for food, power bait is similar to what the hatchery feeds them. but any tried and true trout bait will work as well.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Here's a neat trick you can try, Hatchery trout are imprinted to the sound of their food being tossed in the water in a course granular form. If you throw a handful of small pebbles or course sand in the lake it will bring fish to your boat looking for food, power bait is similar to what the hatchery feeds them. but any tried and true trout bait will work as well.
I'm trying that next time I'm out on a stocked lake, I can see myself now in amongst the fly fisherman with handfulls of pebbles chucking them in every direction.:D:p

·
Registered
901 Posts
Here's a neat trick you can try, Hatchery trout are imprinted to the sound of their food being tossed in the water in a course granular form. If you throw a handful of small pebbles or course sand in the lake it will bring fish to your boat looking for food
will that work in the ocean too for all the hatchery coho:)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
LOL! chumming with gravel​
My thoughts exactly.
A lotta lakes are going to be shallower soon, and the fish are going to go into duck and cover mode.
At least you'll be able to recognize some of the folks that read this forum,
The ones with the buckets of gravel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts