BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, anyone out there with and experince dying feather and furs? I have a bunch of Rhea feathers I would like to dye but not sure how to do it, any tips or pointers would be very appriciated.

:cheers: Rick

·
Registered
840 Posts
Procure , yep procure.................just warm up some water in a pot on the stove( and make sure you can fit the feathers your dying in it) DONT bring to a boil, just too warm for your hands is good enough, add procure colour of choice and soak for a few.......moving the feathers in a swirling motion.

after rinse in cool water , pat dry with paper towls and blow dry.

yes blow dry, this way you can manipulate the curve of the feather and it dosent become matted.

if you look online you can get , green, blue, red,orange,pink,and purple colours....

I usually use the powdered form for roe.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Rick-Go to Safeway and pick up the appropriate colour of RIT dye. Use the cold water method and have at her. You might waqnt to set the dye by soaking the dyed feathers in a 1/2 water-1/2 vinegar mixture for a few minutes. The RIT will dye up pretty intense, but the underlying colour of the feathers will temper the colour. For fur, I have used Blondissima hair de-colouring (bleach) to remove the natural pigment of gthe fur and them dyed it with great success. Don't know how harsh it would be on feathers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.