BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Gammies are no doubt one of the top hooks, but eagle claws are a very inexpensive hook and are very strong. Eagle claws have never let me down they have caught stuck many steelhead and salmon for me, and I always go back to them. I have also fished with Vision hooks, dont care for them much, seen a couple snap at the barb.

· Registered
26 Posts
I've got to chime in here as well for the Gammy's. I had to use some eagle claws that I keep as spares for when I run out of my Gammy's and they seem to dull faster and don't sharpen back up as well. I don't get all that many days or bights so I try to use the gammy's. My fishing budget is not all that large though so I feel the same pain as many others looking at the gear stores.

· Registered
1,702 Posts
fished with them for a long time, and still do, they have a bigger off set than a gammy so they stay in longoer but u need to set the hook a little harder, i fish with the black one, never silver and the bronze ones suck. the #4 and #2's bend out easy but the #1 and #1/0 hold up nicely.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
I also fishes Eagle claws for years before trying other hook brands. I also only used the black ones as i found the other ones crappy. I use Gammies now also as i like the wider gap but you do get more fish shaking the hook loose :wallbash: but whatever we are "sport" fisherman. when they came out with these new "lazer sharp" ones i bought some and tried them out (few years back) and found them very soft and dulled very quickly. not very good hooks i would say. I also like Vision hooks if they dont have the gammies i want.

· Registered
22 Posts
It's a classic case of getting what you pay for. We used to use the bronze 4/0-5/0 bronze singles for cutplugs at the lodge I worked at. They were OK, but unless the fishing was smokin' hot I would always file them before use, which is a pain in the butt for a hook that is supposed to be "lazer sharp".

· Registered
3,378 Posts
I still use the small size eagle for coho. I like the offset with the use of fresh/and or Jensen/wool..The slight offset does give some advantage, but only in the smaller sizes. Any hooks that you buy need regular attention, and if you are not fishing with a sharpener of some kind, you ARE going to miss hits and lose fish....Ortho
FFM are you looking for a coho advantage? Dreamin' up a new fly?......Your blues are the best!!

· Registered
351 Posts
Have and still use them from #4 -1/0 .Personally prefer the bronze over the black and chrome as they seem to have a longer tine and sharpen better.Also use the DNE spade barbless with good results but they are tricky to resharpen .

· Registered
1,702 Posts
the ones in the clear bags with orange paper, lol. I have had 2 vision hooks snap at the barb while i was pinching it so i dont use those. Gammy's dont re sharpen all that easily u really have to play with them. so i just tie on a new one. I used the DNE cutting points for a little while and as stated before i lost fish because they took alot of force to penetrate.

· Registered
26 Posts
If your going to toss out all those dull Gammy's, Pass them along will ya! I sit and re-sharpen mine while tinkering with my gear watchin some tube. They're way to expensive to discard after one use.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.