BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Now!............All lower mainland streams will have early steelhead right now, and after this cold snap, if we get more rain and the rivers flush and then recede, its time to go again......Ortho 8)

· Registered
1,199 Posts
With the weather we have had and the look of the raging rivers on the news and in photos on one of the other posts - Im surprised anything can swim through that at all.

· Registered
1,519 Posts
RiverRat said:
Would they mainly be in the lower river this early or do they shoot up river pretty quick?

RR

This the thing with steelheading................ they could be anywhere.

Hotrod

· Registered
787 Posts
They can be anywhere, thats why lots of hunting is involved and working a peice of water for a short time then moving on to another peice. Its not like salmon fihsing where you can stand in one spot for along period of time,

Winter Hunting for Steelhead and moving around allot will reward you in getting a fresh winter steelie

· Registered
1,199 Posts
SilverTrout said:
They can be anywhere, thats why lots of hunting is involved and working a peice of water for a short time then moving on to another peice. Its not like salmon fihsing where you can stand in one spot for along period of time,

Winter Hunting for Steelhead and moving around allot will reward you in getting a fresh winter steelie
Well thats probably good - the moving I mean - Its sooo darn cold - you've got to keep moving. I will fish rain or shine but the cold is definately harder. Though I really do want to catch my first steel head - so I will just have to go with 17 layers - lol. I can only stuff so many sweaters in my waders though. And your hands - lol - thats another thing. So you gotta be tough! Thing is I was reading all the posts from the guys remembering their first steelhead and it seems like they all MOSTLY caught the wild ones. So that would be a tinsy bit dissappointing as I would really like to cook one up. Kind of like coho - seemed to me like there were alot more wild then hatchery :'( But FUN anyways :beerchug:

· Registered
787 Posts
I rather bundle up with sevrel layers apposed to one big bulky sweater and a jacket, as you warm up from hiking around you can remove the amount o flayers you want, if you just have a big sweater on , you remove that then your in a shirt and jacket your gonna end up getting cold again, lots of layers is a good way to go. when i fish for steel, i fish a run for about half an hour then im out of there, also if other poeple are there fihsing dont let that discourage you, look to see what there using, and then you can use something completely different and it could result in a hook up. If i walk into a run and see someone fighting a fish i will watch to see if they get it in, then i will leave after that, that run has probably onr maybe 2 or 3 fish in it if your lucky and its all stirred up from the fighting fish that it wont be worth fishing, better off to move into a new run. I always try to be the first one in a fresh untouched run always had the best results that way.

· Registered
883 Posts
Sometimes fishing through a peice of water too fast can effect your chances of hooking and landing your first steelhead...

I was fishing with a friend of mine last year and I offered him to go first through every run. He would fish through the water quick and turnaround to tell me lets go there are no fish here...

Well he tailed 3 steelhead that day for me which were all hooked behind him. He slowed down after my 3rd fish...
He did land one at the end of the day. Nice hatchery fish that I tailed for him and he kept...

The biggest tip that I can give the new people trying too hook there first steelhead is change your offering up more often and make quality casts in the piece of water you are fishing. When you feel you have done this than move on to the next peice of water...You will gain confidence and get a feel on how fast to fish a peice of water.

:cheers: sage

· Registered
5,163 Posts
Don't forget to practice proper edicate! NEVER walk below a angler in a run without asking first. Always start fishing above the highest angler in a run and if he is not moving through the run, growing stumps, ask if you can drop below. It's proper river edicate and its showing respect to our fellow anglers. Here is a link to to the angling ethics page in the fishing regulations, go to page 15. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/docs/fish-synopsis_2007-08_general.pdf

:cheers: Rick

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Rick Baerg said:
Don't forget to practice proper edicate! NEVER walk below a angler in a run without asking first. Always start fishing above the highest angler in a run and if he is not moving through the run, growing stumps, ask if you can drop below. It's proper river edicate and its showing respect to our fellow anglers. Here is a link to to the angling ethics page in the fishing regulations, go to page 15. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/docs/fish-synopsis_2007-08_general.pdf

:cheers: Rick
Havent you ever noticed how when you get a fish on - people start getting closer and closer to you. (Especially if you are the only one at the time catching fish.) I always think thats funny ;D

· Registered
56 Posts
What i like most is if you move away from your spot for a sec to grab a new fly, or change a leader, or heaven forbid you gotta go find a tree... ppl move right in to where you've been fishing even if you've been there for an hour!

RR

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.