BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
247 Posts
yes i do. i got the 4 piece 10ft 8 wt as i wanted one for salmon/steelhead and the web site for echo labelled it as the tough one to buy. rated better than the 2piece 10ft 8wt.
i think mine was jinxed though as the first fish i caught on it wasa 5lb sucker fish on the vedder above the train bridge on an olive green muddler, it grabbed it on my strippping retrieve LOL LOL.
it handled chum on the stave great, lots of backbone and i've hooked up some coho but haven't landed one yet but thats not the rods fault. i am using a brand new sage reel from M&Y that has an awesome brakeing system (paid 110$) and life time warranty AWESOME.
casting this rod is superb, it loads nicely and the line slides thru great on the shoot, i was impressed for the less than $200 i paid and it also came with sock and tube.
maybe hook will also post his thoughts as he has cast it as well.
the same day i also cast a RL WINSTON i was able to put 10-15 ft more line out on the cast with this one but couldn't justify the 4x cost (800)but if you have all the extra cash this is also a great rod. but i do like my ECHO :thumbup: :thumbup: :2cents:

· Registered
691 Posts
I've cast the Echo one single handers from 3wt-8wt, all real nice to cast. I've also cast the Series 2 rods in a 5wt and the spey sizes. For the price I think they're the bet rod going, they're a 4 piece rod have a sock and tube, and sit around the $150 range. If you want fast and some distance at $185 you can get the 5wt distance model, when over line one size will cast into the backing. A couple of M&Y staff and myself were playing with them, and found they can chuck a good line. I really liked the 3wt for stream/creek fishing.

· Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for all the great replies, if i can justify it im in the market for a 2-3 wt and that extra stength could buy me some peice of mind if i hook into something larger than planned. The price on those look right, i may have to go cast a few to make up my mind (and justify the buy).

BS

· Registered
691 Posts
Depending where your at M&Y usually has quite a few in stock. The three weight is soft, but definately stong, don't overline it.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
ya this ECHO rod casts really nice and loads great i can sure shoot alot of line with it without any effort at all. however im looking at the 4piece FLI Sage for myself as i dont wanna have the same rod as my dad as i already have the same reel LOL how can you beat Sage reel for 110 with lifetime warranty. ya exactly you cant ;D

HOOK

· Registered
1,660 Posts
Tim Rajeff is one of the world's top fly caster...I wouldn't doubt that anything this guy comes up with would be anything but awesome. I'm thinking of a 10' 7wt, and from what I've been reading, I just might give ECHO a try.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
ya a 3wt and isnt he around 50lbs when it finally snaps? :eek: take that rod out for salmon if its that tough ;D you would be replacing your 5wt trout rods with 3wt's of these or at least im thinking it ;D LOL

· Registered
787 Posts
I beleieve Echo rods are Life time warranty along with TFO rods, for me I dont see why I could spend all that extra money on a sage rod when the Echo rods are pretty sweet for under 200 bucks and you get the same warranty, Personal prefrence i guess

· Registered
25 Posts
I would think that most modern rods would be able to take a lot of abuse before it breaks. For rod designers and manufacturers, I where toughness ranks within their design parameters. I can't remember the last time I broke a graphite rod. However, I took a novice fly fisher to fish on the Skagit and he broke his brother's Scott 5 wt trying to disentagle himself from the bush.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.