BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on one of the other forums that has a fair number of "salties" and a fair number who work the WCVI. I realize fishing is somewhat different on that inside vs the outside but here goes.........

I was just in Kyuquot from the 18th-22nd; full moon time. It seems that a week or so on either side of that full moon that the fishing was spotty. It was for us but we managed a few springs and hali's weren't too tough to come by.

With respect to the full moon what are the thoughts on the effects it may have? I have read years ago about the effects in freshwater, but have not researched too much about the chuck. I have heard both "good and bad" when it comes to a full moon, but thought that the spotty reports from Winter Harbour down to Nootka may have had something to do with it? We were "marking" fish on the depth sounder in the 80-140' range but not getting much for hits unless we went down deep to 200' plus. I was wondering are the fish feeding through the night? (heard that as a possible theory) Almost all of our salmon strikes were pretty "lazy hits" except for about 2 of them.

Just thought I would see if there were opinions and thoughts on this?

Thanks!

· Premium Member
2,719 Posts
I generally think that the full moon can get them moving if they werent in a certain area... but if there was fish around they went off the bite for a week around the full moon i feel that they have the ability to feed most of the night so the magor bite times during the day just arent as potent

· Registered
572 Posts
Through all the experiences on fishing trips that hit full moons its all been ruff water conditions, 2 even gauge how good fishing would have been lets just say RUFF 2 tell :happy:
That high high tide & that low low mixed with rollers & wind makes it uncomfortable
mind you fish & bait are more active in moving tide like back in the day @ Active pass motor mooching but that's the inside of the Straights :2cents:

· Registered
815 Posts
I thing the moon has an effect on the tide therefore the full moon move fish to where they are normally not. I no our country its more the big tide a full moon brings that effect the fishing location. In a place where fish fish with sight more a - like blue water fishing - a full moon can bring more fish up that normally are not on the surface or it can let normal surface feeder feed at night. So it can either make fishing good or bad. When I was in Broom Australia the fishing was best during a new moon as the tide were smallest and the bait less scattered. However, a full moon is what you want for fishing at night for swoard fish and ulha (GT). The moon is the curse or king from place to place.
It's best to go fishing when ever you can, even if it's not, "the right time." Many have proved that, "right time," wrong.
Have fun, Jason

· Registered
1,515 Posts
I've been a guide for 25 years on the WCVI.... NEVER EVER plan a trip during a full moon. If it's clear out at night the Salmon can feed all night as the baitfish rise to the surface, making them the easiest of targets and then the fish are full during the day and only feed pickily

· Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Agree fully tg,
I am in the straits.(luckily off Sooke)
The full moon does funny things with the fish movement patterns down here. I feel the the feeding all night thing is the key though for poor fishin. Ill go anyways but tell the guest's to not disbelieve my stories bout last week..... or the week before. What hurts the most is that ya can still see them.....on the sounder :peace:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.