BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
no surprises here! It's really sad and hopefully something will be done soon and I feel that CN got off way to eaasy!

Hotrod

·
Registered
283 Posts
OOOH Man where am i gonna fish now.. good Job CN Rail. :evil:

·
Registered
911 Posts
Did you see the Chehalis was also in the top ten. that's crazy makes you wonder if fisheries knows something they dont want to release. I think the next few years on the local flows are going to be intrestering to say the least.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Gravel operations approved for chehalis river....

I have heard that gravel removal operations which were being reviewed some time ago for the upper chehalis have been approved!!!! Perhaps fisheries knows we'll see silt runoff and a decline in stocks just like we did in the coquitlam?
I'll try and drag up some more info if I have time, anyone else heard this?

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Here is a link to a press release from the company that has recieved approval for a 1 yr investigative license on the chehalis for the purposes of determining the quantity and quality of gravel deposits on the upper chehalis river, obviously this must be taken with a grain of salt, as it would be worth a significant amount of money to the company if they find a viable gravel resource there and so in my opinion are already trying to put a spin on things by making it seem that they are doing our little river a service.....although I would like to obtain more of the facts before I form my opinion on this subject. I wonder, if the intent really is to "help the river", shouldn't a good portion of this gravel be used to replenish the gravel on spawning beds that may have been washed away in previous high water years? Anyways I'm sure that there is a good deal more to this than I have so far dug up, but here's the link to the mining company's press release...

http://www.stockwatch.com/swnet/new...x?bid=B-518500-C:MSQ&symbol=MSQ&news_region=C

AND, here is a copy of the investigative operations permit from the Fraser valley regional district, courtesey of the FWR website, it shows the basic area that the company is interested in:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/file/060124-1.pdf

Hopefully someone else here will have something more to add regarding this project....as I am not sure how it will help the fish at all....besides if gravel removal operations on rivers like the coquitlam were screwed up before, who's to say they have it right this time???? Gravel removal operations have not been approved yet, but there may some link to this and the Chehalis being put on the endangered rivers list....
Rib

1 - 6 of 6 Posts