BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent this AM out in English Bay with Kevin, from Bonnie Lee Charters. He has been telling me how great the winter fishing has been,so I finally made it out. Left Granville Island at 7:30, wow, more seals than I have ever seen! 9:00 AM, bang, rod straight up! With seals within 50 ft, thought I'd muscle it a bit. No way, fish ran 2 or 3 times, felt like a big fish, and then nothing. I kept reeling like mad, figuring that I'd see only the head, and then the flasher comes up 30 ft. behind the boat, then I see the fish . What a beauty, water was so calm that you could see it 10 ft. deep, 30 ft. behind the boat. Makes a run straight under the boat,rod actually bent far enough to hit the back of the boat. Couple more runs, and then straight into the net. 18 lbs. of winter beauty! Caught 2 more about 8-9 lbs. each. one within 30 ft. of the biggest sea lion that I've ever seen. Not much time to play each fish, but they were all landed intact. Oh yeah, can't forget about the crab, gotta get the water boiling!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Knew I should have gone out yesterday. What did you catch them on? How deep? Just in the Harbour?
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jason,
How did I know that you'd ask? Big fish was caught early,120 ft. which was near bottom, between freighters. Imagine a line from UBC to the channel marker QB I think, 1/2 way between. It was caught on a green glow spoon, with flasher. The two smaller ones were caught closer to noon, one on army truck spoon, and the other on coyote spoon, midnight rider I think, both with flashers. All 3 fish were caught with different colored flashers. These fish were caught closer to the channel marker, on the tideline, in slightly shallower water, but again right on the bottom. Funny thing was, we didn't hit one undersize. Kevin also mentioned that the bigger fish are in the deeper water. He has had three keepers on each of his last three trips this week, and has lost a couple to seals. You know, I have found that if you get a friend to go with you, it's not that expensive, and you take away all of the knowledge and experience of somebody who fishes there every day!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
OGO.......sounds like you had a good morning. We were out on Saturday for a bit of a cruise....and dropped lines for a couple of hours, but didn't even get a sniff. We were using deep-sixes and I don't think we were getting deep enough as the friends boat we were on is a big 36' power boat. Now.....my important question.......and Ogo you can PM me if you want or not even tell me at all.......where did you put down your crap traps? We dropped 1 out in front of the teahouse for a few hours and got 3, but only 1 was a keeper. I think with the forecast for cool and sunny we will be out this weekend for sure as WHistler sounds like it may be too cold to ski.....even for an 'ex-prairie' boy.

I was thinking about doing a charter for a day this winter......there is a charter out of Coal Harbour that I think is called Bites On that have hacked their rates down to half price. If you had 4 people at $450 for the day it becomes pretty reasonable, but there may be some fighting for the rods! :wink:

www.bites-on.com

Best of luck out there guys........and Jay....were you out last Saturday? Quite a ways out I saw an inflatable that looked to be fishing and I was wondering if it was you......we were going to pop in to Jericho for lunch and then I would have known for sure, but just thought I would check.

·
Registered
816 Posts
No I was not out on Saturday... I think Monday is the next day I will get out, however, it may turn into a maintenance day. I think I got sludge in the gas and the throtal cable needs to be throtaled (sp). But I should get out for a couple hours.
As for going a cheep winter charter, I would be game. So if you need a fouth PM me.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
770 Posts
ogobogo said:
Spent this AM out in English Bay with Kevin, from Bonnie Lee Charters. He has been telling me how great the winter fishing has been,so I finally made it out. Left Granville Island at 7:30, wow, more seals than I have ever seen! 9:00 AM, bang, rod straight up! With seals within 50 ft, thought I'd muscle it a bit. No way, fish ran 2 or 3 times, felt like a big fish, and then nothing. I kept reeling like mad, figuring that I'd see only the head, and then the flasher comes up 30 ft. behind the boat, then I see the fish . What a beauty, water was so calm that you could see it 10 ft. deep, 30 ft. behind the boat. Makes a run straight under the boat,rod actually bent far enough to hit the back of the boat. Couple more runs, and then straight into the net. 18 lbs. of winter beauty! Caught 2 more about 8-9 lbs. each. one within 30 ft. of the biggest sea lion that I've ever seen. Not much time to play each fish, but they were all landed intact. Oh yeah, can't forget about the crab, gotta get the water boiling!
Ok. Let me get this straight..you're telling me you had seal lions out there? Unlikely..more likely harbour seals. Within 50 feet? The clicker on your reel would have said "DINNER TIME" and the thrashing fish and stopped flasher would have called them into your fish like no tomorrow...Anyways...there must have been more than 2 people on board your boat..the DAILY LIMIT for Springs is 2...unless your guide, Kevin, kept a fish too.

·
Banned
189 Posts
I've seen Sea Lions in winter-never in summer though.
Also done business with Kevin but unfortunately never fished with him-a great guy and a straight shooter no BS.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you know, I sometimes wonder why the proliferation of cynics on this forum. you're right on with your math as it pertains to who kept fish, although I do not remember saying wether or not we bonked all of the fish. as for the sea lion, yes virginia, there was a sea lion in the harbour, and after fending off harbour seals all morning, the difference between the two animals is quite apparent. next trip I'll try to remember to take a picture for you. if you read my post, I think that I mentioned how quickly we landed the fish. I do not think that I've ever reeled in 110 ft of line as quickly as I did then. of course, it could have been the WW 2 depth charges that we threw over the boat that kept the animals away...

·
Registered
770 Posts
ogobogo said:
you know, I sometimes wonder why the proliferation of cynics on this forum. you're right on with your math as it pertains to who kept fish, although I do not remember saying wether or not we bonked all of the fish. as for the sea lion, yes virginia, there was a sea lion in the harbour, and after fending off harbour seals all morning, the difference between the two animals is quite apparent. next trip I'll try to remember to take a picture for you. if you read my post, I think that I mentioned how quickly we landed the fish. I do not think that I've ever reeled in 110 ft of line as quickly as I did then. of course, it could have been the WW 2 depth charges that we threw over the boat that kept the animals away...
I see...well...seal bombs are illegal believe it or not..and I'd bet good money that all fish were retained! Kevin is a great guy..I've fished with him too..and his guide know their "S*IT" and they're definitely one of the more consistent guide operations locally..if not the most consistent. I can see landing the 9 and 8 lb fish quickly..but the 18 came in so fast that the seals couldn't get on it? hilarious.....hilarious...

Guess what, not that I'm trying to rain on your parade..but next time tell a better story....

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not quite sure what your problem is. Kevin's # 604-290-7447 call him, and ask. maybe your psychic powers aren't what they used to be. oh yeah, the depth charge thing, it was a joke. guess it's not hard for it to go over your head, when your head is ... figured it out yet?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
fishinmagician........Copperfield.........why not just read the thread and if you don't believe him......just move along???? I also as Dogbreath has said have seen the odd sea lion in the "Bay" and yes....only through the winter months. I recall seeing 3 or 4 a few years ago that had hauled out on the dinghy dock at Royal Van Yacht Club at Jericho. Why don't you call Ogo's bluff and call Bonnie Lee? Afraid of looking like an ass?

Ogo.....as I said.....glad to hear you had a good one out there. I am going to give it a whirl this Saturday to see how it goes.....I'll let you know and believe me.....I will try and snap a pic if I happen to see a sea lion out there. :wink:

Jay.....looking for a fourth? Hell I am just lookin' for a second and possibly third...lol.........I got shot down by one of the guys I spend a lot of time out on the water with....."I would rather catch no fish on my own boat than pay to catch fish on someone else's boat!" :shock: :roll: :D

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
[/quote] Guess what, not that I'm trying to rain on your parade..but next time tell a better story....[/quote]
lets save stuff like that for the freshwater side, it seems to fit better in there. :lol:
as for sea lions i dont see why you guys dont get them all year we sure have them, the get to the size of of vw beetles.
http://www.vancouverisland.com/ParksAndTrails/Parks/details/?ID=601 (second pic down, off victoria)
sea lions you can tell from the blunt forehead, all brown, and they can walk on thier back flippers where seals only use thier front on land

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ohallic,
Seal loin only seem to come into Georgia Striat for the herring run that is coming up. Hugh numbers come to Nanimo all through that area. I've seen them a mile or so from Point Grey in the Strait but not in English Bay, however this is the first year I have fished in the winter. April is usually the time I first go out and there lots of them around Gabriola as well as pods of dalls porposise. I don't doubt they do come into to the Harbour... and lately indvidual have stayed around the Gulf Is. a lot longer until the end of May, with a few become ultra pest. Most leave the Strait after the herring spawn.
But I am sure others will set me right about what I know, I am just an amateur.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Fishaholic.......another "amateur here", I know you guys have them littered all over the place around the island. I see them quite often when boating in the Gulf Islands through the summer; usually down south around Saturna, but they are seldom seen in and around English Bay, but contrary to popular belief :roll: they do show up in the harbour on occasion. Battling the seals and ducking moron boaters is enough of a hassle without the lions. I have only seen them on 2 occasions in the past 10-12 yrs, but I can tell you I know what I saw.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you know, I only had my camera phone with me ,and I got a great shot of the big one, but I was so amazed by the sea lion, that I didn't even think to get it out and snap. all I saw, and needed to see was the head. it was huge, and as a matter of fact, it reminded me of an African lion on "Wild Kingdom". good thing I didn't try for the photo, because I wouldn't have been ready for the bite which came immediately after. oh yeah, thanks for the support guys.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Pippen said:
I have only seen them on 2 occasions in the past 10-12 yrs, but I can tell you I know what I saw.
i was just suprised that there isnt more around your guys neck of the woods. the pic i posted is of race rocks just off victoria , right now (spring) you cant even see the rocks and you can here them barking for miles. in the summer you can see them every day swimming by, and they can eat a lot of salmon, one stayed at otter piont for two day last august. watched him pick off like 4 in the mid 20's and my buddy just about soiled himself when it (about the size of a 4-500lb black bear) almost came into his 15.5ft after a fish he just netted :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think there are some that are definatly becoming more pesky every year around Gulf Is. Just as the seals have. Unfortunatly they are smart and can learn better than seal. In Washington they have sea lion that are almost residance of the Balard Locks. Fisheries or what ever they have in the US has taken them as far as Northern California and they come straight back.
Maybe we need to tow decoy white sharks or transmit transiant killer whale calls. :lol: :lol:
Once saw a video of a guy who had a sea lion jump in his boat to get away from killer whales :shock: . It was only a 17' boat and whales actually nudged it before it was beat back into the water... it was a female so it was only as big as a great dane.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Moving a little slow this morning.......but I am headed out to try and photograph the elusive "english bay sea lion" :wink: ......and if all goes well....tie into a spring, crabs and prawns.

I'll throw up a post later today to let you know how we made out or didn't make out!!

Sea lions are the little grey spotted seals that are often seen around salt water.....right??? :wink: :D The big brown ones are harbour seals I think??

Sarcasm is a gift that is not to be abused!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts