BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to attempt to make a few epoxy minnows. I've searched and came up with a couple of topics but nothing that answered my questions so I'm asking here.

Q1 - What's the best type of epoxy? I realize the 5 minute type is the most common (and I saw some 10 minute stuff as well, which I might try), but does everyone have a favourite brand of epoxy they use?

Q2 - The mylar tubing comes in various sizes. Is each size used for a specific hook dimension?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have been using the LePage epoxy and find it is fairly easy to work with. I have not used any other products so can't really compare to other types of epoxy. If you are not looking for a very large body you can tie in some flash to create the cone and then use a thicker head cement and apply a generous amount.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
11th Warrior said:
I'm going to attempt to make a few epoxy minnows. I've searched and came up with a couple of topics but nothing that answered my questions so I'm asking here.

Q1 - What's the best type of epoxy? I realize the 5 minute type is the most common (and I saw some 10 minute stuff as well, which I might try), but does everyone have a favourite brand of epoxy they use?
I used 5 minute (Lepage, Cold cure, Flex Cote) They all perform about the same. Remember you are only using a tiny bit so there is really no large areas to compare performance. I have since started to use a homemade coating Automotive Goop, cut with toluene until it is about the consistency of rogers golden syrup. Not as messy as epoxy, dries in about 1/2 hour and if you keep it in a covered dispenser jar, it will last for months. My next step tho' is to go to the tuffleye system UV activated coating. Epoxy is just too messy and too short a working time.

Q2 - The mylar tubing comes in various sizes. Is each size used for a specific hook dimension?
[/quote]

Yes and no. The larger sizes can be used for larger hooks, but can also be used for a wider body. Look at this rabbit zonker

With a narrower mylar tube body, there would be a larger hook gap for better hook-up opportunities, and the aesthetic of the fly would be changed. To a large extent, the size of Mylar tubing is a choice that's dependent on what you want the fly to look like.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about the Tufleye but want to try the epoxy first. I want my flies to look like this:

with variations in color, of course.

Another question....I see the mylar is (usually) sold in 3 yard lengths. How much should I be paying for it?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
professori said:
It's been a while since I bought any, but I just pay the fly shop what they are asking. probably 3-4 bucks?
That's what I thought, but I called one of the shops earlier tonight to see what they were charging...$14.99/pkg (3 ft...not 3 yds). Hence the reason I asked. I have 2ft of silver right now so that should do for awhile.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I think you and the shop must have been talking about 2 different things. I just bought two packs of medium mylar chord at Riverside (one gold, one silver) and paid $2.49 each. When I told them you were quoted $14.98 they were willing to sell you a bridge as well. :happy:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
professori said:
I think you and the shop must have been talking about 2 different things. I just bought two packs of medium mylar chord at Riverside (one gold, one silver) and paid $2.49 each. When I told them you were quoted $14.98 they were willing to sell you a bridge as well. :happy:
Hey, I already own the Brooklyn Bridge so I don't need another one :happy: I specifically asked for the mylar tubing you tie epoxy flies with and that's what they quoted me (so I said thanks, and hung up). I've got a line on tubing outside the fishing world and it's a heck of a lot cheaper, lol.

Has anyone tried using colored craft sprinkles in their epoxy to color the fly?

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Yeah, not worth the effort IMO. Did one set and really didn't like the result. Tried them on a flyrod i built (for myself). Won't do that again either. They end up looking like you sprinkled them with grade school craft glitter! :happy:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
professori said:
Yeah, not worth the effort IMO. Did one set and really didn't like the result. Tried them on a flyrod i built (for myself). Won't do that again either. They end up looking like you sprinkled them with grade school craft glitter! :happy:
Thanks for the warning. I saw it mentioned on another site and went "huh?" What would you recommend for color the flies? I'm looking at tying some in pink, green and blue (ie: for pinks). Should I just tie in an appropriately colored piece of chenille along the back, then coat with the epoxy?

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I use dyed mallard flank. It extends back to form an unepoxied tail. But seeing the pattern you are trying to use, looks like bucktail or polar bear (my favorite) would be the thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.