BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new format guys and gals,

Registered members only reports now for Saltwater in the various regions below this section. Works the same as the freshwater stuff. Public viewing of the discussion, 20 + posts to view the reports by region.

We'll try to move the last few pages of reports into their relevant sections over the next few days.

Enjoy,

BCFR

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
professori said:
What about giving the new format a few weeks to see how it all works out, before changing it up? :peace:
Very true, and for it. :cheers:
Dont see why the reigon 1 (van isle) should be covered the same as the provincail zonings as the salt is fed(and what works offshore may not apply to anyone fishin the straits[any one].... what i do off sooke is a lot different from someone fishing Naniamo or CR or Hardy for that matter.....Charoletts...again totally different)... and a Van isle(alone) is a huge area to cover with many different situations.
Like I say it was just a thought and I like the new idea :beerchug:

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
OK, lets see what everyone has to say about the 4 areas we have for saltwater fishing? What should we call these four areas?

Fishaholic said:
What about changing the reports to a stait (ie JDF, Johnstone,Gorgia and Charolette), west coast Van Isle, Charolettes, and reports for the mainland in between?

Just a thought?
:) Rick

·
Registered
612 Posts
Westcoast Vancouver Island(WCVI),East Coast Vancouver Island(ECVI),Juan de Fuca(JDF) and Queen Charlottes(QCI)....you may want to have an Anywhere Else Salt section as well.....
Speaking of QCI ,how did the move go Rick?? Got your new Sea Sport yet?? :happy:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
ribwart said:
Pippen and Bigjay brought it up a while back...as was with their idea, everyone's are welcome...
Rib!!! Thanks for throwing us in the "hot seat"!! I thought it was the mods that were to take a flogging when things on the site get changed?? :peace:

I will say one thing......I really don't think we need all sorts of forums in the salt; it just gets too convoluted. Do we need 3 to cover the areas around the Island?? I wouldn't necessarily say so....but that's just my opinion.

I would think you could narrow it down to 3. Vancouver Island, Vancouver and Sunshine Coast, Central/North Coast/Charlotte's (or whatever you want to call it).

Too many forums to click around in get's to be a pain.....and to be honest there are not a ton of reports on this forum that come from oustide the southwestern portion of the province (Van Isle/Van/Sunshine Coast). If you spread it to thin you are just creating forums that will have 1 or 2 threads in them. Bottom line is if you are scrolling through the Van Isle thread.....if you don't want a report on Winter Harbour; skip it.....just like if I don't want to read a report on Pedder.....skip it. Same with Bowen, vs Sandheads vs. Powell River vs. English Bay.

I am a self-admitted "salt whore" and enjoy reading all posts pertaining to it. Personally I was just fine with one salt forum; we were just interested in getting not available to everybody on the internet from Afghanistan to Zimbawbwe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am with tsweet on that one, when I come on the board, I go straight to saltwater section. I check pretty much every day and sometimes there is two and three days (not as much at this time of the year) without a new post or reply. I think with the amount of post, keeping them all under one heading might do the job.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Rick and Rib......ignore my PM. I just figured it out as I logged out to see what the board looks like as "guest".

Just for anyone who wants to know.......if you are visiting as a guest or below 20 posts, you ONLY see Saltwater Fishing Discussion....there is NO reports section.

BigJay and I had originally requested a "reports" section that wasn't available to everyone on the WWW.

Having said that guys........I think one "saltfishing discussion" (which will let new members know there IS a salt area on here) and one for reports (20+ posts)(all areas) that people "may" choose to post up reports that they don't want 100% public???

·
Registered
816 Posts
Oopps, I put my report from yesterday in the worng place... and I suggest the change. :wallbash: I didn't think it be up so fast.

Now I know... knowing is half the battle.

Thanks Rib and Rick!

Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
bigjay said:
Oopps, I put my report from yesterday in the worng place... and I suggest the change. :wallbash: I didn't think it be up so fast.

Now I know... knowing is half the battle.
I was gonna "fire a shot over the bow" about that one too. First post since the "reformat" and you don't chuck your "report" in the "reports" section. :naughty:

I had an "itchy" trigger finger. :thumbup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I wonder how many new users you're going to discourage from becoming consistent contributors by hiding the posts of most valuable content from them, thus not providing an impetus for a return visit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first log-on
19 more to go
I like the idea of more defined reporting areas.I know I would be primarily interested in only one area.Probably in the area closest to your residence.
I am going to the Tasis area for the long week-end but do I tell everyone if I limit out each day??Most fishermen don't!! :-X

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BCI said:
I wonder how many new users you're going to discourage from becoming consistent contributors by hiding the posts of most valuable content from them, thus not providing an impetus for a return visit.
I think it's safe to say it proved to work quite well with the freshwater stuff, so we're optimistic that most, if not all, will find they like the arrangement in the long term...

BCI, rbob...if you guys haven't already read this link, you should...

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forum/index.php/topic,2940.0.html

It basically describes the site, but also points out the reasons and intent behind having the site set up this way. Generally a good number of initial reactions are much like yours BCI, but once you get past 20 posts and have hung around for a while, I'd bet you will come to see the value of it being this way.

As it says in the link I provided you, we don't want to discourage, it's exactly the opposite, the site is set up this way to encourage people to participate...

Oh, one more thing, If you're under 20 posts and want to post a report, you can do so in the public discussion section. No problem there. What we do then is wait until you are over 20 posts and then we'll move it into it's appropriate area.

If you guys have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

rib

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Any more ideas guys/gals on the four areas? The two obvious are Vancouver Island and Vancouver/Sunshine Coast.

abbyfireguy said:
Speaking of QCI ,how did the move go Rick?? Got your new Sea Sport yet?? :happy:
Hey Abby!

The move went good and we are all some what settled in to our tiny rental house. It's impossible to find a decent place to buy up here that isnt completly over priced! I will be taking out the new boat today, didn't buy a Sea Sport, instead found this little 23 foot beauty!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Rick Baerg said:
I will be taking out the new boat today, didn't buy a Sea Sport, instead found this little 23 foot beauty!

Did your wife request the "white" boat and engine? ;) ;D :peace: I hope you have good sunglasses with a "ride" that is that bright, shiny and new!!

JUST kidding Rick....I love Wellcrafts; I have spent a lot of time boating with a buddy who has a 35' and they are very solidly built. His is pretty heavy when compared to a Tiara of the same size but a great boat that handles the "chop" well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.