BC Fishing Reports banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Here's an article about another spill. Contains a little info about Mount Polley. Why they're (mount Polley)still allowed to operate at all is baffling to me.
Tailings pond spill in Kamloops
The Canadian Press - Sep 9 4:26 pm
Photo: Google Maps
A broken valve between two tailings ponds at the New Afton gold and copper mine in Kamloops, B.C., has resulted in a spill of about 16 cubic metres of mine slurry.
B.C. Environment Minister spokesman David Karn says the tailings went into a dry ditch and no waterways are involved.
A company spokeswoman says the crushed rock was completely contained on mine property, there was no danger to people or the environment and clean-up has begun.
Karn says the spill is minor compared to the breach released at the Mount Polley mine last month that sent 17 million cubic metres of water and more than seven million cubic metres of slurry into nearby waterways.
A registered letter sent Tuesday to the operators of the Mount Polley mine from the Environment Ministry warns the company that the tailings pond was still discharging effluent into a nearby creek.
The ministry issued a compliance order to the company to take prompt action to shut down all discharge and make sure there's enough capacity in the storage facility to handle a large rainfall event.

·
Registered
156 Posts

The whistleblower....another jaw dropping video....incredible. If you thought IM was trying to do the right thing, this video makes it painfully obvious what bastards they are. This couple deserves so much better.

·
Registered
156 Posts
How stupid is this Ministry of Errors? The clown brigade strikes again. As if self monitoring and self compliance didn't help lead up to this disaster, now the MoE believes Imperial Metals is beyond reproach and has decided to leave all future long term testing of water up to IM.
And what is "long term" testing, because they already stopped posting water sampling tests back on Sept 4th.
From the MoE's Question and Answer sheet:
"12. What long-term water quality monitoring will be put in place?
The Mount Polley Mining Corp is currently developing a water quality monitoring plan. The Ministry of Environment will review and provide feedback to ensure the plan meets provincial requirements to protect human health and the environment.
The submitted plan will be shared with First Nations and IHA to ensure the plan addresses other parties’ expectations.
The plan will be posted publicly on the ministry’s dedicated Mt.Polley website when it is completed and satisfies Ministry of Environment requirements".

·
Registered
449 Posts
I put this here because it seemed appropriate. Copied from Castanets news service.

The Alberta Energy Regulator says close to 60,000 litres of crude oil have spilled into muskeg in the province's north.
An incident report by the regulator states that a mechanical failure was reported Thursday at a Canadian Natural Resources Limited pipeline approximately 27 kilometres north of Red Earth Creek.
The report says there are no reports of impact to wildlife and that a cleanup has begun.
Red Earth Creek is over 350 kilometres northwest of Edmonton.
Carrie Rosa, a spokeswoman for the regulator, says officials have been delayed reaching the scene due to poor weather in the last few days.
No one from Canadian Natural Resources could be reached on Saturday for comment.
In April, a pipeline owned by the company spilled 70,000 litres of oil and processed water in the region.
The Alberta Energy Regulator said at the time that the spill northwest of Slave Lake was not near any people, water or wildlife.

Good thing there's no wildlife or water in Northern Alberta..... I call BS.

·
Registered
138 Posts
20150523_171451.jpg A co worker of mine showed me a picture today of a rainbow trout that they saw on the North arm of Quesnel Lake this weekend .Doesn't look very healthy.

FH327

21 - 27 of 27 Posts