BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bearing in mind that one has to carry it through the bush in a pack:
What should I take an extra supply of? (What deplorable grammar!!!)
The first thing I thought of was extra hooks. All the rest of the stuff is rendered useless without hooks and extra hooks don't weigh much.
What else might be useful?

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Really depends on where you are planning to hike. Some destination hikes to a lake, for example will require certain types of gear, and a hike thru a mountain pass with a few streams to cross might be totally different....If you have specifics, I can help you more........Ortho 8)

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Hey Clam,

I've done a ton of backpacking in my years so, like Ortho said, if you can give us specifics (where, when, type of fishing (fly/gear), speciies, etc) we'll be able to help you out more.

Two things I can think of right off the bat:
- Food. Depending on how far you're hiking, you're going to burn a lot more calories than you think, so plan accordingly.
- Water (filtration system). Dehydration is brutal and can lead to severe medical problems (a kidney stone on the trail is NO fun, trust me)

I also take extra TP in a ziploc bag; it makes a great firestarter, gauze pad, etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I was hoping for advice on extra tackle (as in fishing tackle). ???
Your advice is kind, but I have rather a lot of experience in the woods. :)

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Clam said:
Actually I was hoping for advice on extra tackle (as in fishing tackle). ???
Your advice is kind, but I have rather a lot of experience in the woods. :)
You might try reading fishortho's post and giving us some indication of what you are planning. Fly fishing, spinning gear, rivers and streams or lakes, Belly boating or wading. Some idea of what kind of fishing you would like to do would greatly help advising you.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
You're still not feeding us much info to go on.

1. What species are you targeting (coho, steel, bass, etc)?
2. How long are you going?
3. Where are you going?
4. How far from a town will you be?
5. Are you fishing on the fly or gear?
6. etc, etc...

If I was only going for 3 or 4 days, I wouldn't take anything more than I would for a single day (other than the added camping stuff) since I like to have everything I need, at my disposal. My chestpack is usually ready to go with everything in case I get the urge to disappear for a couple of days :happy:

If you want, you can PM me and I'll give you a list of everything I carry.

243 Posts
Well since we need to cover every option with no info,

A few dozen dew worms + size 4 hook + 8lb floro line +- medium sized split shot + small/medium sized float = good for just about everything that swims.

Or, if there is a bait ban,

8lb floro line + a few weighted spinners in brass and nickle plate in sizes 1, 2 and 3.

Bring all that stuff and your good to go for just about anything that swims. Add to the numbers of the supplies depending on your casting ability, lots of hooks and weights if your a bad caster, just a few spinners if your a good caster.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kryptonite has obviously been observing me! ;D "...lots of hooks and weights..." ;D
Excellent idea, I will stock up on the h & W!
For those who demand more info: I will be in the SW quadrant of BC. I would like trout. I will be way off in the bush. I will use an Ugly Stik pack rod and shimano reel.
Worms are a good idea. Very nostalgic in that we used them when I was a kid and occasionally even caught trout with them.

· Registered
260 Posts
Clam said:
Kryptonite has obviously been observing me! ;D "...lots of hooks and weights..." ;D
Excellent idea, I will stock up on the h & W!
You needed our help with this?

Clam said:
For those who demand more info: I will be in the SW quadrant of BC. I would like trout. I will be way off in the bush.
Damn, I was going to scoop you and show up the day before you....but you are keeping those cards tight to the chest....?!?!?

Demand seems a little strong...humor me do you not see people asking for more details in order to provide you the best possible response of benefit to you?

Clam said:
I will use an Ugly Stik pack rod and shimano reel.
Wow, careful with the details, loose lips sink ships....

Clam said:
Worms are a good idea. Very nostalgic in that we used them when I was a kid and occasionally even caught trout with them.
Is this a decoy to imply you are going to a stream that allows bait, when really you are not?

Well wherever you are going and how ever you may fish, I wish you a fun safe trip with many enjoyable moments on the water. :thumbup:

· Registered
232 Posts
I always carry a few small panther martin spinners in my pack. I prefer the ones that are yellow and have a fly pattern tied on to the hook. These have worked well for me in the east kootenays and in the lower mainland, so wherever you are going I'm sure they will work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.