BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Wth any of the recrational puller, ones pulling 100lb - 150lb, you have to remeber its for pulling 2 prawn trap, line and about 10lb. It is not for raising the Titanic. Many buy these products and think its the same on as on Deadliest Catch. It is not. If use to pull the recrational amount of gear, and not anchores, it's they work well. Also make sure to have the right guage of wire, fuse (probably around 50amp), good battery or engine on, and proper conection. These thing draw about 40 amp thus you need conections and wire that will transmite the most current with least resistance. Thin wire cause more resitance when high amp are put through it.

Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prawn Puller

Thanks Bigjay... you make some good points there....kinda leaning towards the "endurance marine" puller, looks pretty solid. Fellas - anyone have any other opinions out there.. thanks so much..

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
My personal favourite is take some "newbs" out....definitely have to be guys who think they are pretty tough.

Feed them a few beers (a shot of rye if available as well) and if you have a stereo on board....some Guns n' Roses or ACDC help facilitate the "lead up". :drunk:

Start the conversation about how tough the traps are to pull and then add to the hype in saying your 6'4", 250lb muscular mutual friend "bonked" about halfway up from the bottom. This all continues with the "acting" and I recommend you start the process 45 minutes prior to "pulling time". ;)

As you near the trap and grab the float, YOU being the experienced one hang on to the float and do a quick "refresher" as to what has to happen; ie. rope into the bucket and not all over the deck and if you have a co-conspirator on board this is when they pipe in and stress that "rookies" have to pull the traps and also that you CAN NOT stop pulling at a good speed as the prawns will swim out of the trap. :peace:

As happens on our usual prawning boat the depth sounder picks up the traps as they are coming up and you just keep telling the "puller" that "I can see them and they're coming up!". :happy:

"If" the puller stops, slows or hesitates remind him that if the trap is empty it will be his fault that we are not enjoying the "bounty of the sea" for dinner!! :yummy: Always stress that as the "experienced" prawn fisherman you have paid your dues and enjoyed MANY, MANY prawn dinners. A good thing to add in is that spot prawns are way better than the "imports" you buy in the stores. I often equate the flesh to more lobster like and rich....just get's the "puller" drooling. ;D

Yes an electronic prawn puller is more efficient, doesn't talk back, doesn't drink beer and generally doesn't whine until the muscles start to hurt. It may cost you more $$ in beer over the years but the entertainment aspect is one that is second to none. :thumbup: :peace:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.