BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I was wondering what everyones favorite coho fly was when fishing in the salt, mines a blue green california niel, with a long flash tail, unweighted, fished on a slow sink tip line.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Because I'm going to fish for coho this year (first time ever), I've been doing some reading online and apparently the California Neil (or coho bugger as it's often called) is the #1 saltwater coho fly, by far. From what I can deduce, Green, blue & purple are the most popular colors, in that order. In the rivers, try using an egg pattern which matches the roe in the river. I sure hope the Neil works out because I'm tying up an entire box of them this week, lol. Other flies are the standard clouser, as Popper metioned, and bucktails.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Definately agree with the coho bugger as first choice but I also like the green and pink handlebar patterns. The Pinks also go fo them - which can either be a blessing or a curse depending on how the fishing is!

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Hard to pick a favortite, but Yes muddlers, variations of the california neil, and one last one I'll add that hasn't been mentioned yet...a variation of the wooly bugger pattern in white...with a gold or silver bead head. Works very nicely and adds some variety to our selection. Different profile, color and movement in case the hoes don't seem all that keen on the other patterns.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Best results have been on Neil variations but experimented with needlefish variations and they worked using clear intermediate sink line.

·
Registered
875 Posts
My "SC neede" pattern has worked well for some people.
It slayed springs off the beach and in the river.
Slayed cutties and coho in the rivers as well, never got a chance to try it off the beach for coho but cutties liked it off the beach as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.