BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone post your favorite combo for hootchie/flasher.. I've been known to tie up some crazy combos that seem to work..

My fav for chinooks on WCVI - Glow needlefish squirt tied inside of a regular size Purple Haze UV - then throw that behind either a purple glow hot spot flasher or chartreuese glow. A couple glow beads in the head of the purple haze before the glow squirt seems to help to.

For chinooks locally in Vancouver - this one is another secret favorite of mine - seems to work well off the North arm/QA area later in the season for the big mature springs --> Tofino Dog Turd Hootchy(Mottled Glow/Black/Brown) behind a glow red flasher or red tape on red flasher - caught some very nice fish on this combo.

What tricky little combo's do you guys swear by?

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hi demco, thanks for your tips.

Many different hootchies work well around Vancouver at different times of the year. I could list a bunch but some only work well at specific times for one type of species. The best all around hootchie is what most consider strictly a Sockeye lure. The MP15 (pink mini) will catch all species of Salmon and is almost always a good bet during the summer and early fall. I usually run a leader of 35-42" behind a red flasher. The longer leader and a faster troll will catch more Coho and Springs, while still picking up the other species if they are around as well. This lure is most productive during the times when mixed stocks are available and produces many multi species days. You'd also be surprised how many big springs like this lure. I have caught many Tyee class springs on this simple rig. Not exactly secret gear but certainly under fished by most people who only put it out when Sockeye are open.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would have to say that for ecvi all time favourite is cop car with tiger prawn glow in needlefish model for winters and the octopus for the summer. this setup works well every were as well especially when fished deep. For the charolottes and wcvi i like a U.V plaid flasher with a sardine hootchie, or the pistachio with a bestsy gold back.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
For the WCVI I have had great success using a gold/silver flasher with one of the "chrome/purple/black" teaser heads on it.

Also had great success with a purple haze plaid UV flasher and chromed blue/green teaser head.

As for hoochies..........well my sig line down below says it all. :p I played around with a lot of spoon/flasher combo's as well and the green/chrome or green/glo coyote spoon produced well for us too.

When the fishing is hot over there........it sometimes doesn't matter what the heck you put down there.

Demco.....remember "Derek" who was the caretaker at KSL? He rigged up a coke can for a flasher for me.......and said "don't laugh, it'll work". I never did get around to trying it but may give it a whirl this summer. As I WILL be on the Island and it is fishing.....I may have to try a Lucky can.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hi demco, thanks for your tips.

Many different hootchies work well around Vancouver at different times of the year. I could list a bunch but some only work well at specific times for one type of species. The best all around hootchie is what most consider strictly a Sockeye lure. The MP15 (pink mini) will catch all species of Salmon and is almost always a good bet during the summer and early fall. I usually run a leader of 35-42" behind a red flasher. The longer leader and a faster troll will catch more Coho and Springs, while still picking up the other species if they are around as well. This lure is most productive during the times when mixed stocks are available and produces many multi species days. You'd also be surprised how many big springs like this lure. I have caught many Tyee class springs on this simple rig. Not exactly secret gear but certainly under fished by most people who only put it out when Sockeye are open.
X 2 on that post!

When there are enough fish around tho...they'll bite an just about anything..however...certain colors do produce better than others depending on the conditions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We seem to have the best luck (tofino) with a flasher and blue Hootchie.

Of course, that all depended who was wearing their "lucky hat" for the day too!!!

grin, mark

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
We seem to have the best luck (tofino) with a flasher and blue Hootchie.

Of course, that all depended who was wearing their "lucky hat" for the day too!!!

grin, mark
I recall Iron Noggin' talking about bluish needlefish patterned hoochie's last summer if my brain is working properly. I didn't get to pick any up before I made the trek to Kyuquot but will definitely grab some this year. Especially if the coho are thick again and continue to rape my supply of anchovie's/herring.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I agree blue shades work extremely well on wcvi. I usually use those colors when the water is very clear or blue tint. I have done very well on blue/white, blue/mauve, and blue/gold hoochies on the westcoast. I usually match them with a blue or purple flasher.

Blue shades do work here some times, but not as well as on the westcost. I tend to think that is because our water is usually discoloured by the Fraser river runoff.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I don't have a favourite combo. It depends on the combination of water colour, light conditions, depth and time of year as the different runs of Chinooks like different setups

·
Registered
464 Posts
There are so many hoochie colors that it is confusing to the average guy to pick a winner from a wall of gear at the tackle store. To make matters worse, different areas seem to have their own local producers. Some hoochies seem to work well only in specific locations, others are good coastwide.

As a general rule I tend to select hoochie color based on water clarity and light conditions. Low light or murky water I usually lean to shades of pink, red, orange. or gold. Good visibility, green or blue water I tend to select shades of green, white, or blue hoochies.

As demco stated in his original post you can cover more color bases by inserting one hoochie inside a different one. The glow needle fish inside a transparent purple haze hoochie has worked well for me too. Another combo that has worked well for me is a pink needlefish hoochie inside a full size green and white. In Parksville they use a pink needle fish inside a transparent purple haze combo. The combinations are endless, feel free to let us know if you have a fav that works for you.

·
Registered
464 Posts
This thread got me thinking of tying up some new combo hoochies to try here. I tied a couple of different rigs a little while ago and gave one a try today. Be damned if it didn't get a nice fish on it's first dunking. No monster , but still an 11 or so pound spring.

Here's what I tied up.

Outer hoochie: glow army truck octopus size.
Under the army truck hoochie: bubble gum pink octopus hoochie (with black dots).
Inner hoochie: needdle fish size cerise hoochie.
Pearlescent mylar insert inside needle fish hoochie.
Single siwash hook tied on 40 pound test fluorocarbon leader 40 inches long.

Seriously, that rig caught a spring first time out. Maybe I could drag it for another ten years and never get another fish, but I was impressed for a first try. Goes to show you never know what combo may work.

I've shared a few of my favorite combos. Surely some other people must be using multiple hoochie rigs too. How about sharing what has worked for you.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hey Rocky Point.

I totally agree with the purple gold flasher its a great one. Gold tape one or both sides is a great flasher tape color. The combo hoochie I used today was behind a green body Army Truck tape on front and gold tape on back Oki flasher.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
This year's Go-To's:

Halibut: green base Glow (both sides) flasher. Glow squid the same size as the Turd hootchie, Tie about 42" and Hang ON! :D

Outside banks: Custom "Blue-Green Mist" Oki Flasher. Hi-Fly in Double Glow Cop Car. Unreal action! :thumbup:

Inside Banks: Same flasher (basically all I use for salmon any more). J-55 Needlefish Hootchie.

These have proven to be the most reliable set-ups for me whether fishing off the troller or sport rig. :cheers:

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thanks for the tips Nog.

Sure would be fun to have a commercial troller to try out all those piles of hoochies I have kicking around. I'm sure the weather offshore would cut down on the fun factor a lot though. Good luck out on the banks, leave a few for us this summer would ya.

·
Registered
572 Posts
In the Charlottes, Purple Haze and a gree and white hoochie.

Or, #2 Gibbs about a 6" flasher and a green and white hoochie.

The #2 Gibbs and a Crippled Anchovie hookup will still work much better...

Bret

1 - 16 of 16 Posts