BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious what everyone likes. I'll start. First of all, since I make my spinners, I buy all my blades at www.pen-tac.com. They have the best blades around in my opinion and with the Canadian buck as it is, not a great financial hardship to buy U.S.

I have never differentiated between blade colours for any salmon species. Maybe I should but... getting too old to change old habits. What concerns me more is light and water conditions.

For murky water and very low light conditions (i.e first light) nothing in my opinion beats 24K gold. They sound expensive and do cost a bit more but they are well worth it... very well worth it. They have the ability to provide flash under the very lowest light.

For bright conditions, I use genuine silver blades. They almost have a matted finish and appear duller than what is normally called 'silver'. These blades flash in high light conditions but not to the overpowering extent of a shiny nickel blade. Those 'silver' blades commonly sold on commercial lures are actually nickel, not silver.

A very good (and very under used) blade to use both in murky water and in high light conditions is black. I love the black oxide blades from pen-tac. Black is a contrasting colour and will show in dirty water. Also, when fish are skittish in high light conditions due to low water or angling pressure, a nice black blade can often get them to strike.

If I could only choose one of the 3 above, I'd choose...hmmmm..thats tough. I guess I'd go for the black oxide.

· Registered
1,367 Posts
I just started fishing for salmon last year. And in my experience in the murky waters of the Alouette i've found that a simple mepps aglia works. So I guess a brass blade and body work well in dirty water. Thats pretty much all i've fished with for blades, and I stick to them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.