BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a good method to find leaks? I have breatheable waders and the foot is neoprene and I have a small hole somewhere in the foot, so small that sometimes it doesnt leak but when it does my foos gets fairly wet. So it must get pinched closed pretty easily.
Lets here the tricks to find it!
Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
I used to fill the foot with water, hold it over a bathtub, twist the leg so no water can escape out the top, a nd squeeze like mad. I don't know if this will work for really small holes though.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I've always found it difficult trying to pin point a hole in neoprenes....try looking for a general area instead of the exact spot..stick your hand into the foot then submerge it in a tub with cold water, move the foot around for a few minutes and work the neoprene form the inside...if there's a leak then you should feel the water seep in..,pinch off the leaky area form the inside, turn it inside out and circle it with a felt marker, so when it's dry you'll know the general area to seal up. Apply a generous but even amount of Aqua seal to the effected area on the inside... then when it drys do the same on the ouside in the same general spot...I find this creates a pretty good seal...I get leaky neoprenes from float tubing, as the harness rubs against the seat from kicking...so I find I'm doing neoprene repairs a few times a season..One good thing I found by doing this, I've never had to repair the same area twice.. Hope this'll help.

Finder :wink:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fill the bath tub with water.
Twist the leaky leg of your wader to trap air inside the foot
hold the air filled foot under the water and squeaze the air out toward the foot
watch for the airbubble and mark with a felt marker to patch when they dry

Brian

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have always found the easiest way to find a leak in neo's, is to get yourself some dish soap and mix 1 to 1 with water and put a shop vac with the hose on the discharge side or you can use an air compressor to inflate the leg or foot as required. And the just libberly apply the soapy water mixture to the area that you expect to be leaking and when you start seeing the bubbles you have found your leak. This method will find even the smallest leak.

Good luck.

Centerpin 8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Best way is to turn your neoprenes inside out and hang them on a fence post. Take the garden hose and fill the leg with water. The downward pressure of the water will show you the leak and then circle the spot with a felt tip marker. Then aqua-seal the crap out it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts