BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after loosing about 60$ worth of lures, I went on a mission to find one of those steel lure recovery tools. With no success (A&N, C tire, pacific angler, west coast on Hastings) I went to plan B. Yes plan B!; Getting stronger line. Since my reel just broke, I bought a nice Shimano 4000.I figured I'd get 30 pound test to go with it.

Since mono is out of the question; too thick, too much memory and stretch. I asked for fireline. It's in the cabinet the lady at the store told me. Why is it in the cabinet when all the rest of the lines are on the shelf??? I couldn't believe it when I saw the sticker. 50$ for fishing line!!!!! I paid 30$ for 12 pound test a few years ago (and I really felt guilty for a while). But never could I bring myself to pay 50$.

So my hand reached for the little red box with the word Trilene on it. I was amazed how thin it was for 20 pound test...I guess technology evolved since I last bought mono.

So what do you guys fish with and why? For those who fish with the all mighty fireline; is it worth it? Are there any good alternatives? Oh and does anyone know where I can find the tool mentioned above?

Thanks,

Alex

· Registered
166 Posts
Sounds like the place you were buying from is on the pricey side. If you really want to buy fireline, why not move up and try their new product fireline crystal. Less visible in the water and the same or better properties than conventional fireline. Also, if you bought 10 lb. fireline crystal it would be like using 15 lb. monofilament. As for price, you would be looking at any where from 22 to 25 dollars at most fishing supply stores.
Also, the manufacturer, Berkley gives you some ideas as to how to use the product too. For the Fraser, I use it as the mainline on my spinning reel, attach a swivel and then use some mono as leader material.

G

·
Maxima UltraGreen, P-Line Fluoroclear for leader

Vedder River I run 15 Maxima main and 8-12 Fluoroclear leader...

All my reels are loaded with Maxima ultragreen line.. Why you ask.... It quality you can trust !!!

· Banned
2,854 Posts
ok i use fireline for BBing ONLY!!! yes its 80lb and i use 20-30lb mono for leader

all my other reels are 15lb Maxima ultragreen for mainline and anywhere from 6-12lb test leader (depending on water clarity and the fish im targetting)

my spinning rod for pinks has 8lb maxima works great

HOOK

· Registered
21 Posts
I use fireline on some reels. It has its place. It is good as a mainline, but you need to use leader. I usually attach a few feet of mono to it using a double nail knot. If you are using it to save lures, it won't help, you will just be snapping your leader. Basically if you've hooked into a tree in the middle of the river with your favorite lure, just let it go, 'cause its gone.

Advantages:

Crazy strong for the diameter
Very sensitive, it doesn't stretch as much as mono, so I find you can feel the take better
Easy to cast
Not as much memory as mono
Lasts a long time

Disadvantages:

Cost
Hard to cut. No way are you nipping it with your teeth.
Sharp as hell
Hard on the rod eyes

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhhhhh! I went casting today! Can't cast for S**t with this mono!!!! The thing is that I need a strong line for snags (bottom). but flexible enough to cast. If it was for trolling I wouldn't mind that much to have a rigid line but alas...

BTW: Here's what I'm looking for... http://www.snagaway.com/

· Registered
415 Posts
I made a great lure retriever that gets most of them back. Get a slip sinker in the 8-10 oz range. To the ring end attach a heavy line (weedeater mono works great..you only need 12-15 feet). Make a little jig board to wrap the line on between uses.

To use, get as vertical as possible above the hook to be retrieved (presuming you are fishing from a boat). Attach the weight to the fishing line and let it freefall until it makes contact with the lure. Its important that it free falls so the weight will bounce against the lure. Raise the weight up and freefall down until the lure is free. Probably works 95% of the time.

· Registered
1,461 Posts
Garman retrieve faster if your snagging bottom, use a lighter lure, or stop casting in the same spot where the snag is. Another good idea that someone else mentioned on another thread awhile back was to cast out only a split shot or small weight to see if your spot is snag free. Lead's cheaper than lures.

· Registered
87 Posts
I usually try a test cast and retrieve with just a weight at the end of the line. If I get a snag on the first cast I give it another go or a few more to see how big it is or if I should just move and find a different location - instead of casting in the same vicinity hoping to miraculously(wink) miss the snag. There is enough room for fishing around BC to NOT go home frustrated from loosing a ton of gear from a "stubborn" snag.

· Registered
1,702 Posts
tuff line, for fraser BBing or Barfishing, 15 trilene biggame main, for average reels and 12lb for small reels. 8-12lb mono leader, except for steelhead and coho, then go to flourocarbon. paying $10 for 27 yards of that stuff, super pricey but worth it.

· Registered
691 Posts
shane said:
Garman retrieve faster if your snagging bottom, use a lighter lure, or stop casting in the same spot where the snag is. Another good idea that someone else mentioned on another thread awhile back was to cast out only a split shot or small weight to see if your spot is snag free. Lead's cheaper than lures.
:thumbup:
As for line i use 12lbs mono main and 8-10lbs mono leaders,sometimes i will use floracoabon depending on how the clarity of the water is for all my float fishing,when i use to BB i would use 50lbs tuff line and 20lbs mono leaders and have never had a problem.
FishFreak said:
Maxima UltraGreen, P-Line Fluoroclear for leader

Maxima ultragreen line.. Why you ask.... It quality you can trust !!!
:thumbup: ;D

· Premium Member
4,442 Posts
I only use braid for the mainline portion when pulling plugs, bar fishing and for sturgeon fishing. Otherwise Maxima Ultra Green is the way to go! I used to use Fireline but gave it up because it was hard on my rod and reel, not to mention my hands. There are lots of gel spun micro filament lines out there some cheaper than others. You should also be using a fluorocarbon leader, especially in clear low water conditions. What kind of reel are you casting from? There are special monofilament lines designed for certain reels.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.