BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some procured roe from freds, which when i bought it was firm and dry. Now Im half way through the container, and the roe is soft and gooey. Whats going on? should I just add some of my own borax to it?

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
i leave mine in the container it comes in. and when i get home it goes back in the fridge. it stays pretty firm unless you let it sit in the sun too much during the day :wallbash:

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Try giving the roe a light rinse in non chlorinated water....(Tap water in a bottle with the lid off overnight is ok), or river water. Lightly pat dry and reborax. Should be ok...When you lightlyrinse, most of the milky colour is the borax. The procure colouring should remain. Try and keep cool (just above freezing, then place in a plastic bag and wrap in several layers of newspapers . Use a second bag when you are fishing and keep most of it wrapped and take a small amount out at a time. What you don't use should still be cool at the end of the day and ready for re-storage in the fridge. ..........Ortho 8)

243 Posts
Steely said:
I bought some procured roe from freds, which when i bought it was firm and dry. Now Im half way through the container, and the roe is soft and gooey. Whats going on? should I just add some of my own borax to it?
I'd throw it out. Low quality bait will only lessen your chances at catching fish. No sense in spending all that time and effort on gear and getting to the river only to save a couple of bucks by using bait that is well past its prime.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.