BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to tsweet129's advice I headed out this morning to the back side of Bowen. On the way I dropped my prawn and crab traps. Fished Tunstall bay for a couple hours with only a little rockfish. (I was able to revive the little guy!) I then headed toward Hutt. When I arrived I decided to give the old west coast of VI jigging for salmon technique a go as I was getting a bit bored. First drop in 80ft I get this little 10lb guy.

One thing I would like to add. Last night I changed my downrigger cable from the scotty steel to 130lb power pro braid. I was a bit worried that it might be a bit too light but I have 3000' of it so I decided to give it a go. I will NEVER use wire again. The first thing that I loved was the total lack of "wire sing" that drives me nuts. Anyway I would suggest giving this a try. The only negative is that I have heard is that if you are stacking the clip tends to ride up the line. I understand that there are stoppers available to prevent this.

Fished that area for another 2 hours with no luck both jigging and trolling flasher/hoochie and flasher/anchovy & herring. There were 3 other boats in the area and I didn't see anyone else get into any fish so I decided to head home. First stop on the way was the crab pot. Hauled it up and there were 12...every one was a male! Never had that happen before.

Next stop was the prawn trap. I wasn't holding out too much hope as it only soaked for 4 hours but to my surprise there were 57!

All in all not a bad start to the season.

· Registered
249 Posts
nice work....i love the winter fishing....where did you drop your prawn pots...i've had great success at Hole in the Wall but I've tried a couple spots on the west side of Bowen with very limited success...I'm always looking for other options....any one else with prawn spot suggestions would be greatly appreciated

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tsweet129 said:
nice work....i love the winter fishing....where did you drop your prawn pots...i've had great success at Hole in the Wall but I've tried a couple spots on the west side of Bowen with very limited success...I'm always looking for other options....any one else with prawn spot suggestions would be greatly appreciated
I dropped in 270' on the south side of Bowen. Used Catfood tuna and a real can of tuna. Froze it the night before. They were AMAZING...saute in butter and garlic.. :thumbup: :thumbup: ....especially with the crab as a main course! :happy:

The salmon is on the menu for tomorrow!

· Registered
815 Posts
Good JoB Zpg,
I finally need to change the wire on my rigger and alway thought of using supper-braid but got a lot of feedback that it doesn't strech enough, so it will snap. Are you using a snubber and how much is your ball?
Have fun, Jason

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bigjay said:
Good JoB Zpg,
I finally need to change the wire on my rigger and alway thought of using supper-braid but got a lot of feedback that it doesn't strech enough, so it will snap. Are you using a snubber and how much is your ball?
Have fun, Jason
Hey Jason

I am using 10lb balls and unfortunately my riggers are manual so I am just careful when bringing them up so no snubber. As for the stretch, I honestly don't think that is very much of an issue as wire doesn't stretch either. Most of the downrigger companies are selling braid as their "premium" level product. I am using 130lb because I happen to have had it on hand but if I were to go buy it I would probably go 200lb. That way there would not be a break issue and you should get a ton of life out of the line, certainly a lot more than steel.

There is a fishing forum that is primarily island fishery oriented (not sure of the forum etiquette so I will not post the link). There is extensive talk there about downrigger braid and the replies are all very positive.

Cheers,
Ray

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Nice work Zpg!!

Hope to see you out there soon. Pic's like that in good "winter weater" make me envious.

Just keeps me counting down the days to my trip to Kyuquot this summer.

Man I gotta hit the local chuck soon!!

Keep the pics coming and thank for adhereing to the "forum rules". :thumbup: ;) :peace:

· Registered
606 Posts
Power Pro 200 lb downrigger cable is performing extremely well on the west coast..
Its going on the new electrics as soon as I get time to do it...
Outlasts and out performs stainless wire hands down from everything I've read....
Decent price too compared to Scotty Braided stuff...

· Registered
193 Posts
I use the power pro as well .I find that it is really nice as there is no worries about kinks and i didnt have to go through the entire process of making sure i had the right charge on the cables. Or blowing fish away by bad charge.
My :2cents:
oliver

· Registered
116 Posts
Nice post zpg. Late report; We didn't have much luck last weekend trolling Pt Grey to the fisheries station & Pt Atkinson Mar 1 then Cowans to QA March 2. Wish we had tried Ambleside. The only hit bit off North Van.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.