BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must say I never thought I'd become a fisherman. The father in law came down this weekened and wanted to go fishing so to keep him happy I got a license and borrowed his extra rod. We drove out to St. Elmo on Sunday and joined the crowds on the river. At one point my father in law hooked a spring and it dragged him a couple of hundred yards down the beach before it broke loose. That was exciting. We we there for 7 hours and neither of us landed anything. As we were leaving a nice guy gave us a bunch of advice on the best way he thought to catch sockeye.

So we headed back the next evening to try again. Third cast...SOCKEYE. :D I don't know who was more excited me or my wife. She was jumping around and squealing. I'm guesing it was about 8 pounds. The guy fishing next to us dared her to clean, so she dug right in and took care a business. What a girl! In next 2 hours my father in law hooked 3, but land 2 more. He was thrilled becuase he had finally conquered the Mighty Fraser. He fishes lakes in the Kooteneys.

Well, now both my wife and I are hooked so we get her a license and head out one more time the next afternoon. Went to our same spot as the day before and within 30 minutes had snagged and torn off half the gear we brought :cry: We were both very pissy at this point. So a nice older guy comes along and tells us to come down to his spot, give us some slinkys :?: and some advice and leaves. This spot was better, fewer snags, but no fish. Meanwhile EVERYONE downstream of us is cathching. After 3 hours, no fish, a broken real and no more gear we start the walk of shame back down the river to our car. Along the way a guy from Steveston asks us how our day was. When he hears our sad tale he tells his two friends and his son to stop packing up because no one goes home empty handed. He even lent me some gear so I could keep trying. So as I'm fisning again :D one of them hooks into a sockeye and calls my wife over to land it. So I start realing my line in to go and help her, but what's this...I've got one hooked too. :shock: So there we both are bringing in our catch of the day at the same time. How romantic :wink:

So now we're happy again. I get my fished cleaned and my wife starts in on hers. It's getting dark, but I think I'll just keep casting until she's done. GUESS WHAT? I hook another one! What a day! So now we're hooked and all the work we're supposed to get done on the house this summer is just going to have to wait.

Many thanks to all the incredibly nice people out at St. Elmo. Despite what I have read in another forum. The people there have been friendly, helpful and most importantly patient with us and we learn the rules and etiquete of this fishing thing.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
That's awesome to hear gumberculese.

There are definately some really nice helpful people on the river. Congrats to you, your wife, and your father-in-law for catching your first Sockeye ever. There was one part of your post that was upsetting though ...................... it reminded me of all the work I gotta do at the house. :wink: :wink:

WELCOME to this forum and have FUN on the flow,

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
st elmo road u say thats where we launch our boat, do you have a boat or were ya fishing on shore? looks like a good spot from the boatlaunch all the way down the beach but like you expeirenced LOTS OF SNAGS.

C.K.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome. My wife has now informed me that the old borrowed rod her step dad gave us is not going to be good enough and that we'll each have to get our own. Any recommendations on a good starting set up. I would also like to be able to fish the Vedder in the fall, so I'm not sure what all I'll need.

I gotta say I have yet to meet the idiots I have heard spoken of in these forums and hope I never have to.

On St. Elmo we were on the beach. A beautiful place to fish and to just hang out.

[/img]

·
Registered
736 Posts
Congrats Gum!! That is quite a feeling isn't it!!! Kinda makes you feel like " HAHAHAHAHA, I AM MAN, I AM A PROVIDER." Bet your wife is thinking about her big strong provider!! Hey man, use any angle you can!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
try hub's sports in abby i seen a good river rod selling for $45 perfevt for the fraser and the vedder! when you walk into hub's store it the bundle of rods the first ones you will see when you walk in! can't go wrong with the price! can't see them lasting to long! maybe i seen 10 rods there for that price!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
As mentioned Hub Sports in Abbotsford is good .... Rodger has always treated me more than fair. Other places to check out would be Fred's Tackle in Vedder Crossing (close to you) and Reaction Fly & Tackle (Whatcom Road next door to Tim Horton's). They all have a great staff and I enjoy spreading my spending money around to try to keep them all happy. :wink:

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
917 Posts
I would imagine that you could get a decent graphite drift rod for about $100 and a decent level wind reel for about $150 (plus or minus 20%). You might also get a "package deal". The less expensive rods would be the Diawa, Shimano, Trophy, and Berkley - all have good rods at a pretty good entry level price. I've been usng a Trophy XL for the last two years and it's been adequate. I like the Abu Garcia C3 levelwind reels - I believe these are fairly "standard" entry level reels. I can't afford a Calcutta because I spent all my money on Hardys! :lol: Oh - and by the way, don't even think about taking apart a baitcaster unless you're really sure about what you're doing :oops: - I had to learn that the hard way!

One note about the Vedder system - I'd highly recommend float fishing (or fly fishing) that river. There's just no need to use the same BB techniques that you've learned to hook sockeye in the Fraser. We all know that the sockeye are being flossed. It's much more fun to actually have a fish strike your presentation - whether it be bait, wool, spinner, or fly. The springs and coho in the Vedder definitely will strike under the right conditions! Anyway - just my 2 cents worth...

·
Registered
736 Posts
Flyfishin Magician said:
One note about the Vedder system - I'd highly recommend float fishing (or fly fishing) that river. There's just no need to use the same BB techniques that you've learned to hook sockeye in the Fraser. We all know that the sockeye are being flossed. It's much more fun to actually have a fish strike your presentation - whether it be bait, wool, spinner, or fly. The springs and coho in the Vedder definitely will strike under the right conditions! Anyway - just my 2 cents worth...
Very good point FlyFishin Magician. Thanks for mentioning that. One more thing to add to this, once you figure out float fishing, which actually does take some skill to get it right, it is also a much more productive way of fishing. There is a ton more excitement to it as well, as some of the strikes are VERY memorable!! :shock: :lol: :lol: You also won't have to worry so much about snagging a fish, which is very hard on them. :wink:
When I started, I was using a Convergence and an Abu, worked great and I couldn't have asked more of it. This one was a medium light rod, but they do make them in meduim/heavy now as well. This is one of the rods that I would suggest for both the Fraser and the Vedder. The other would be the one that I use, a Trophy XL, and I have used it on the Vedder and Chehalis for Coho, not to mention Mammoth Spring on the Vedder. It has handled it all very well. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
guys like you make guys like me Jellous

Dude congrats on the catching..... Not gona lie about this but im harsh jellous any time i read a story like this it makes me more addicted and want to catch a salmon. as an 18 yr old ive fished for salmon may times but every time come home with the big goose egg. Mom '' so wat did you catch this time ... uhhh weeds and a stick haha Nothing at all everyone around me was but not me''. I dono i just wana have the feeling of that bite, Be able to be like all you others and catch big. Im heading out fishing sunday so hopefully i catch someting if not..... I dono what im gona do... Ill just have to jump into the water and snag one my self.

Ne ways congrats man and keep on fishing

Jamie

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
gumberculese said:
Any recommendations on a good starting set up. I would also like to be able to fish the Vedder in the fall, so I'm not sure what all I'll need.
Congratulations on breaking the ice! I hope you land many more tasty sockeye before they close the season.

I would also like to make a request that you keep flossing to the Fraser River for sockeye and not bring it into smaller systems like the Vedder/Chilliwack or other smaller streams for other species of fish...especially NOT for Steelhead. The guys at Reaction Fly Tackle or Hub Sports can definitely steer you in the right track. Or if you would like to flyfish for coho chums or springs, PM me sometime in the Fall and I'll let you know when I head out to the Vedder, and maybe you can join me if you already have your gear.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the pointers again. I'll head out to Fred's in Vedder and see what they can set me up with.

Also, if I'm understanding choho_killer, he doesn't think there should be flossing in the Vedder. His post was a bit vague, so I'm not too sure. :lol: I actually look forward to float fishing, not to sure what it is or how it works, but it does sound like fun. It must involve a little more skill than BBing. And thanks Stone for the offer, I might have to take you up on that.

Finally got some shots of our fish.

http://members.shaw.ca/riverratz/Photos.html

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Nice fish! And yes, I forgot about Fred's. Go see Bergler while you're there...I'm sure he'll set you up with what you need. You'll be casting a spey rod before you know it. 8)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Come to Army and Navy in Langley, ask for Stuart and mention this website and my name. He will have an affordable yet reliable set up for you. Mention this website and ask for your discount as per Joe. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.