BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I only made it out once this year for some trout fishing, did a bit of walleye, pike and sturgeon in the North Saskatchewan River, but only once fort trout.

This was a camping/bush crafting/fishing trip. I headed out to a creek that my wife and I took a look at a couple of years ago. We were there in the spring during the late stages of runoff but the creek looked good and I vowed to come back to fish it at a later date.

Two years previous.

So it's the last weekend in August and my game plan is to hike up the creek for a while, find a nice place to camp, do a little fly fishing and hike out the next day.

The creek now

It was a lot smaller than I'd anticipated. I was expecting about twice the volume and was now second guessing my decision to rely on catching fish to feed myself.

I found a nice spot close to the creek and set up my simple camp. No tent. No sleeping pad. Not enough food for dinner. Only a 1L cup to cook with. Coming in light and fast with my 5 wt Hardy and one small box of flies.

And now for some fishing

Continued...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

After a couple hours and about a half dozen Brook trout it was time to head back and start dinner.

Catch and eat

Fish over the fire with an improvised grill made of willow and some water for coffee.

As the light faded into night I brewed up some Labrador tea that I'd collected and enjoyed the fire.

After a restful night and lazy morning I rekindled the fire, made some oatmeal for breakfast and packed up camp.

It was nice to get out and the area holds some good potential for future adventures. Hopefully it doesn't take me two more years to return.

B

·
0 Posts
As usual great story. That's some skinny water, did Alberta have low flows like BC this summer/fall?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts