BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my first entry level mooching reel ( Daiwa M1 Plus) to see if what everyone was saying about them is true. When I ask fisherman how they like using mooching reels they all say its the only way to go. Thought I would give it a try and see if I get hooked. In addition to the Daiwa I will be using a Shimano convergence 10'6" MH rod. Can anyone give me any tips on how best to get started?? I understand that using such reels can be dangerous to your knuckles!!! Any hints and information will be greatly appreciated. In advance, thanks to you all.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Make a point of pulling your hand completly clear, if you do want to palm slant the real toward the palm hand. Seems to help keeping clear of the knobs. Of course saying all this I nailed my thumb right on the tip, felt like my hand was coming off. Being the fishing proffesional I am, I did not swear in front of my customers and most importantly did not cry! After handing the rod off to the customer I noted don't stick your hand in there it hurts.

Bret

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
:D

I prescribe some get out and try it.....
If you have a screamer and it dings your knuckles... move your hand ;)

:cheers:
Very true......and ya......let it run and DON'T hold on to the handles if it starts to run. Mind you.....if you are on the "outside looking in" and watching someone get whapped....it IS kinda funny! :p

You'll only get whapped once or twice and learn your lesson grasshopper. Once you get used to the reel you can start playing with palming it, but until then put your hand in your pocket, or hold your beer when the fish runs. ;)

it's only pain...it goes away. There is nothing quite like the zing you get from a mooching reel...enjoy.
Exactly......it's pain.........but it's a "good pain"; one of those kind you CAN smile at!! :peace:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice ; with my big hands I will do my best to learn quickly!! Do you need to set the drag on mooching reels and if so what is the best way to set them?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Pippen,
Yes I would be using the downrigger. I notice there is a drag knob on the reel, but not sure how it would or should be used. I am sure I will also try mooching with cut plugs at some point. The reel I have been using is a 600 Tekota LC and its hard to give the moocher a try as I really love the Shimano, but I hear so much good feedback on the mooching reels from salty'd that I felt I should find out what it is like.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
tfish.....

You'll find as you start using one on a downrigger you'll get more confident with slight adjustments on the drag. Basically when you are clipped into the rigger and starting to let it down you will want a slight bit of resistance on the drag for your first few times as you don't want it to free spool as the ball is going down....you'll end up with a "nest" in the reel and want to toss it ASAP. ;)

Once you get a used to the reel you may find you use your thumb or a finger on the reel/spool when letting it down on the rigger to just give enough resistance so that it won't free spool. You can do this with the drag as well and you'll understand the first few times you let out the ball. If you start letting out the ball and your rod bends over like it's gonna break......you're drag is too tight. ;) Loosen it off a bit and let it go.....you will find quite often that it will run in spurts as the rod bends over, and then the reel spins....then rod....then reel.

Once you get down to the depth you are wanting to fish put your rod back in the holder (I usually keep mine in my hand while letting it out but you can just have it in the holder); then tighten the drag down a bit and reel in a bit just as I am sure you have done in a rigger with other reels. You'll just need to play with your drag for a few times to get used to how tight to crank it.....I always just have it on that fine line between creeping and secure, if that makes sense. It's a bit of a balancing act but you'll get it pretty quick.

Just as a dumb question.....some of the points above you may well be aware of as I assume you have fished using riggers before. The biggest thing you want to watch is to not let the reel go into a total free spool whether you are letting it out to mooch, downrigger etc. It's the easiest way for the line to skip off the spool and get wrapped up.....it's annoying and my GF has the technique nailed down if you want a "what not to do" video. :p

Other thing with those Daiwa reels is I recall hearing something about the drag washers in them (the new Shimano's had an issue too) creeping way, way too much. If you find you are having problems with the reel take it back to the shop where you bought it as they had a "fix" for the washer. I don't recall the exact details but recall this being mentioned either this past spring or last summer.

Hopefully some of what I typed makes sense......I am sitting here listening to a conference call as I type.

Just me personal opinion on the Daiwa's as I had the opportunity to use one 2 years ago I think it was....I found the creep terribly annoying; it wasn't my reel and I don't know if the owner ever took it in to get fixed.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Edit!!!

I just need to add one thing...ha ha.....just saw your PM tfish....and when I say "free spool" I mean by loosening the drag right off. Not using the free spool lever on the back side of the reel.

When I say free spool I am talking more so about using the drag and getting a "feel" for the various levels of tension on it. I never use the clicker for "free spool" on the back side of a reel when on a downrigger. Sure...maybe for letting line out for mooching or jigging, but again you want to keep a thumb or finger on the spool to prevent it from running out too fast.

Just wanna make sure there is no confusion.

tfish....just gotta eat a late dinner and I'll reply to your PM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts