BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a reliable, unnamed source and I quote:

"I contacted Transport Canada regarding the safety concerns around ANYONE intentionally placing a moving obstruction upstream of anchored boats with the intent to impact on those boats. Notwithstanding the safety issue, I was ultimately referred to DFO in Chilliwack. The DFO officer and I discussed the business of drift nets intentionally set above anchored boats and drift nets intentionally set in the way of anglers on the bars. He informed me that any of this kind of action is a POLICE ISSUE and Agassiz police should be contacted. Apparently, the Agassiz RCMP have a boat in the water and are recording and responding (hopefully) to all reported incidents of this nature. So ... if you have a problem (or, for that matter, if you had a problem), please contact the Agassiz RCMP at 604 796 2211 and file a report. The Agassiz office is not manned on a 24-7 basis,so if it is "off-hours", contact the Chilliwack RCMP at 604 792 4611 and they will dispatch. If everyone reports all occurrences of these kinds of action, we may see some solution."

If we act accordingly maybe we can stop interference fishing activity on the Fraser River.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I haven't experienced this kind of "interference fishing" with drift nets that you are talking about, but I will confirm for you that there are in fact at least two RCMP boats (at least that was what I was told when I asked...they could be DFO) pretty much every day on the Fraser. They are fairly large bright orange Zodiaks, and there's at least two officers in each one.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
How about reporting flossers who are standing knee deep in the Fraser, chucking big globs of lead, and are clearly interfering with an FN's right to legally gill net, think I'll call a few of them in myself.
This idea works both ways, spare us the poor starving white folk drivel, these flossing bars certainly do not belong to sporties any more than FN.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i found it interesting how this freshly cut tree came cruising along the bar at pegleg last evening.......all that stormy weather must have pushed it in the river

·
Registered
249 Posts
nocoho said:
i found it interesting how this freshly cut tree came cruising along the bar at pegleg last evening.......all that stormy weather must have pushed it in the river
lol...I was at Spagehetti and am pretty sure I saw that nice poplar, too.

An observation: we camped overnight with the kids last night and through out the night and in to the morning, we heard boats running up the river, than idling down. When I got up to take a wizz at 2:30am, I was suprised to see FN boats still drifting the river.

I asked one of the young guys in the boats this morning whether they were catching, er, netting many during the day and he replied, "not too many during the day. It's better at night". You don't say!

Are the entitled to net 24 hours a day?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ironhead said:
How about reporting flossers who are standing knee deep in the Fraser, chucking big globs of lead, and are clearly interfering with an FN's right to legally gill net, think I'll call a few of them in myself.
This idea works both ways, spare us the poor starving white folk drivel, these flossing bars certainly do not belong to sporties any more than FN.
Your a Moderator making comments like that!! What is a "MODERATOR" suppose to do, moderate or start arguments?

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Now Now skagit3 , he is just simply trying to show both sides of the coin. Just because he is a little short on bran in his

flakes :oops: , his message is simlpe . A kind word and a little help will go far. :D

Hey Lund ! I keep missing you . I was camped about 100 ft. down river . I think Bruce in his blue 17 ft'r was right beside

you on sat. Too busy so we split early, next time!

·
Registered
249 Posts
marko said:
Hey Lund ! I keep missing you . I was camped about 100 ft. down river . I think Bruce in his blue 17 ft'r was right beside you on sat.
We camped Friday night only and no one was camped down river from us, but some guys showed after dusk about 100 yds up river from us. They dropped off their gear and fished well after we went to bed at 10pm. I wan't able to see the boat as it was too dark when they arrived.

·
Registered
730 Posts
K here is my two cents, I feel FN can fish as much as they want, when they want, *** however they use their "traditional" methods, they refer to their right in the past, so enforce that right with traditional fishing methods only. No drift netting with nice power boats, or heading out at 2 am to check illegal nets set out in an out of the way spot, neirly submerged, just my 2 bits.

G

·
roscoe-pco said:
K here is my two cents, I feel FN can fish as much as they want, when they want, *** however they use their "traditional" methods, they refer to their right in the past, so enforce that right with traditional fishing methods only. No drift netting with nice power boats, or heading out at 2 am to check illegal nets set out in an out of the way spot, neirly submerged, just my 2 bits.
A good sensable post , there ar no starving FN,s either the Govt makes sure of that

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I agree with the comments of the mod on this one! He 's totally right on ther money as far as I'm concerned. And I hate to break it to you guys but the use of nets is a traditional method of fishing.The use of barbed hooks is too.

Hotrod

·
Registered
612 Posts
What must be remembered with this subject is , there are total jerks on both sides..When these said jerks meet, there is often harsh words and actions on both sides, usually for no logical reason.....
Anyone with a bit of integrity doesn't intentionally go out of their way to stir up trouble and commit dangerous acts on the rivers....If they do, they should be hung by their testicles for acting in such an inappropriate manner no matter which side they're on, white or first nations,period....
How's that for political correctness?? :?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Just because it's politically correct doesn't mean it can't also be just correct. Agree with you totally. I am completely fed up with "FN should/shouldn't be blamed for X" argument that goes on this time of year, every year. Learn what is ethical and legal in your own fishing practice and follow that. If you want to criticize someone else's practice, at least do the research to find out the legality and ethicality of that practice. I have no complaint with FN for their legal practices. I have a complaint with the politicans and bureaucrats that have made questionable practices legal. Theire are many sport fishers who fish "legally", but have the ethics of a barnyard animal. They pi$$ me off more than FN as they often are the same ones bellowing about the catch rate and methods of others (FN, commercial fleet, new immigrants, boaters, anyone who is not them). This rant is the last thing I will say about it. If I have offended anyone, i'm sorry, but only a little. :wink:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Just because I am a moderator does not mean I cannot have a different opinion than others.
I feel that my experience and time on the river goes far beyond that of 99.9% of the posters here, and to have to endure un ecducated posts and posts based on the quest for meat, grows extremely tiresome.
The complete lack of respect shown to the FN on the forums during SOCKEYE sesaon is pathetic.
This coming from guys who post for 2 weeks to a month every season.
Are any of you complainers attending meetings with the FN????, you can, and you could possibly make changes.
Instead you rely on the boys from the valley, who fought and protested to have the damn Fraser even open for bar fishing Chinook(FVSS 1980's), then you whine and complain about these same people when they speak out against the snagfest.
I can tell you alot of these old timers are completely disgruntled with the current lack of respect this generation shows on the riverbanks, then these same people come on websites and groan about the fact they cannot completely control every bar on the Fraser. This is not to say that ALL forum members fit this category, but many do.

Have you ever considered that the FN are fishing for whole families including young and elders, this is how it works.
Get a history book, who stacked cans of salmon high in the sky??, who completely devastated the Sturgeon???, who drained Sumas lake and flooded out FN traditional lands???, who CONTINUES to rape the ocean with commercial fishing boats???, who has lodges that send anglers home with stacks of meat(we've all heard the stories, or lived them)???.
Who has thousands of anglers standing knee deep snagging fish( the same practice we USED to bitch about FN using)??.

How do you think this makes FN feel???.

We take and take, then turn around and balme others when we can't keep taking, its rather pathetic and enbarassing to me.

This post was YET another complaint of people not being able to TAKE and control the river.
Did the poster consider that the particular gradually sloping shallow bar, in question is possibly the best spot to drift a LEGAL drift net. What makes this spot or any of the other favorite spots (grassy, peg leg, seabird.....) a snagger owned bar, when in fact they are EVERYONES spots. Personally I would really like to barfish these spots, but I cannot, do you see me posting a rant about it???, no, I keep moving on in search of a another spot.

For once I would like to see a post where a sockeye bouncer was actually thankful for the GREAT river, and the very fact that salmon still swim its waters, instead we get bragging about catches, compalining about not limiting, complaining about FN, or posts that make people against flossing out to be bad guys(instead of realizing these same people fought to get us fishing).

I do not really consider myself a mod here anyhow, this site is well moderated, with the exception that the mods here mostly agree with each other and tend to tank threads that don't go there way, understandable.

Now get back out and get those hunks of meat, so we can close this Shite down and get back to angling.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ironhead,

Thanks for history lesson about FN fishing and the influence the "whiteman" has had on the fishing in this area. I am part native but don't have native status in Canada. I believe in conservation and keeping our woods and streams healthy but I also am thankful for every fish and animal that I harvest from this place. I understand your concerns about b%tching and complaining. I'm not into that either but want to make a difference in how things go out there. So, me posting my initial message wasn't such a good idea but I still feel that the imbalance needs to be addressed.

I like fishing as do you. So let us keep the education going and make a difference in our world. It's nice to see someone teeth on a particular issue and you've given us something to think about.

B-Daddy

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Sorry if I hi jacked your post B-Daddy, but it seemed an opportunity to provide another opinion. Although a little bit heavy, even I'll admit :wink: .
Guess I better go catch a steelhead to ease this pressure :lol: .

I will be posting some dandy pics I found from the long forgotten days of the Fraser, they will open some eyes to the real reason why the river is the way it is.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ironhead,

Apology accepted. About the steelhead, go get 'em. The Fraser madness should be done early Septemberish. I look forward to your pictures you'll be posting of the Old School Fraser Days.

B-Daddy

G

·
In politics. they say perception is everything. And, fishing on the Fraser River is political, make no mistake about it.
Standing on the shore at Peg Leg, watching several FN boats drift netting from shore to shore all day and night is bad for public perception. Right or wrong, the courts in Canada have given the FN certain prioroties and rights to fishing. Those rights are to fish for ceremonial and communal purposes. But why do they have to insult the rest of us and do it right in front of us, where those of us without a boat, are trying to fish?
How many fish do they need for "ceremonial and communal" purposes? Look it up! It's on line. For exaple, the Tsawwassen Band have "reported" 34,033 sockey harvested between July 23, 2006 and August 13, 2006. The registered population of the Tsawwassen Band as of July 2006 is 269. THAT IS 126 SOCKEYE PER PERSON!
I think you can feed a lot of people at communal gatherings and ceremonies with that much fish. From where I stand on the beach, the perception is greed. And when they are doing it right in front of me, the perception is an insult.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts