BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had the afternoon so decided to give the ved a try for first time this steel season....hiked in to where i wanted to go and no one around at all......ten minutes in casting a spinner and not expecting anything and only paying medium attention and bam, fish on......eeh hah.....takes a decent run, a couple of nice rolls, i knew it was not big but had some weight to it......big smile as i tried to get a good look at it, chrome, fat, a good seven lbs.....put up a very good fight and after about 4 minutes got it close enough to see it was the biggest dollie i have ever nailed in the ved......released, darted away and that was my fish for the afternoon......nice start even if it was not steel

water conditions very good......fished mid/upper river......if there is no big rainfall up there, derby day water will be great.... :cheers:

· Registered
3,378 Posts
It's funny how those fish move in and out of certain areas this time of the year...There are always a few large bulls/D/V caught in the Chilli this time of the year...I think they slide downstream from their usual water looking for food....I caught a beautiful 5-6 lb fish 2 years ago just before Christmas near Borden Creek.........Ortho 8)

· Registered
883 Posts
fishortho said:
It's funny how those fish move in and out of certain areas this time of the year...There are always a few large bulls/D/V caught in the Chilli this time of the year...I think they slide downstream from their usual water looking for food....I caught a beautiful 5-6 lb fish 2 years ago just before Christmas near Borden Creek.........Ortho 8)
The bulls have just finished up spawning this time of year up all the little tribs in the chilliwack river system... Then the feeding frenzy is on for a month or so.. Than the larger Nomads move out into the Fraser and go where ever they go...Where ever the food is... :cheers: sage

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Thanks, sage......It is a bit strange that these fish seem to be in the river just before Christmas, and although I have caught others throughout the year, these bigger fish seems to have a narrow window,,,,Some feel they slide down from the lake which is known to hold big fish, spawn, and return to the lake. Any comment on that?
They just seem to disappear in mid January............Ortho 8)

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Anybody else got any info on this really pretty fish? They are not directly targeted by most anglers and appear to be by-catch when steelheading....Has anyone else caught any of these beautiful fish recently? Any opinions on the upstream/downstream migration patterns ?
Ortho........ 8)

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
I have had run ins with these fish in the past...although I am sure some of them drop down from the lake or even swim up from the Fraser, and are resident species, I am equally sure there are small runs up and down the valley of sea run strains...

I haven't caught one this year yet, but I haven't been fishing the blade much lately, and I always seem to hook a few of these each year on a nice hammered nickle colorado while hunting steel...

The sea run fish, in my opinion, appear much more chrome, with faint spotting that only seems obvious from up close...

Here's one caught last year...

Perhaps someone with a more specialized biology background than myself, could shed some light on these fish, they are great fish...real beauties!!!

:thumbup:

· Registered
225 Posts
Didn't know there was dolly in the vedder until a myself and two friends were fishing just above bordan creek a couple of weeks ago and landed four that day, two for me, early in the day one small one about 16" then at the end of the day I had been taking a break and my buddies started to pack up so I thought what the hell one more cast, fish on, landed a beauty 20"-22", nice finish to end the day.

· Registered
909 Posts
roughly 25 km or so, and yeah it's dolly water, or most other species for that matter, there used to be a hiking trail from post creek area down, but that's years ago since I did it, there were some nice pieces of water through there.
Cheers
Crazy D

· Registered
917 Posts
Dollies are nice fish indeed. Got one last year up at the Ranger run in the Fall. Also caught a nice 4 - 5 lb dolly down low by the train bridge on the fly on a minnow pattern. I thought it was a small steelie at first seeing the flashes of silver, but it turned out to be a nice dolly. These char really like small fish!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.