BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After trying all season for a winter steelhead on the fly, it finally happened yeterday on the Chekamus! I fished from 6am until 1 pm without even a hit,, normally I have been catching Dollies as I search for Steel. I was about to pack it in and decided to give er one more try in my favorite run.. I put on an olive sculpin pattern and got er down nice a deep.. on my second cast I felt the line go tight and it was on! I knew it was big right away as I could barely move this fish from the deep water, I realized it was a steelhead when it rocketed straight out of the water about 2 feet in the air! We battled for what seemed like 15 minutes with the adrenaline flowing, the fish got me into my backing twice before I was finally able to get her in and have a good look at what I've been after all winter! A nice doe around 12lbs! cheeks starting to turn a nice shade of red. I was worried this fish would be so tired after such a battle, but she took off like a torpedo right away! I had to sit down and take it all in as I was still shaking from the excitement! The hard work is definately worth the payoff! only problem is now I am hungry for more!! Cheers!
Gibbs

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Nice work, Gibbs...I have been waiting a long time for that feeling...A couple of almosts, but just enough to make my hands shake.....Sooon............................Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Way to go Gibbs! Gotta love it when the time put it pays off. Sculpin pattern eh? That's a first to my ears. Good for you dude!

Hotrod

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya Hotrod I was surprised to get one on a Sculpin.. It sort of resembles a big leech as well... I heard from another guy that people had been getting steelhead with dollie flies so I figured I had nothing to lose! Ribwart- I was using a one hander 8wt. Sage launch with a rio multi tip line, I had a type 6 head on at the time. I can't wait to get back out next weekend, I almost called in sick today so I could sneak up there again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.