BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am departing Dawson Creek on May 11, heading for Quesnel Lake. This will be my first sojourn into the interior lakes. Have fished nearly every wet piece of ground in northern BC over the past 40 years, but May in the north it's always hard to find water that isn't still hard. Time to try something new.
We are rigged for nearly every style of fishing, from downriggers to fly rods but I only have two weeks holidays, not another forty years to try to have some fun on a new lake.
Any suggestions that might shorten my learning curve and increase my odds on this intriquing lake?

We will be staying at Cedar Point or maybe ?Winkley? Creek FSC. Running a 17' multi species fishing boat w/115hp, so should be able to cover a fair chunk of the lake. I'm thinking,however, of concentrating on the area between Caribou Island and the Horsefly River, based on the information I have gleaned so far and the hydrographics I have looked at. Good idea, bad idea?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey Willisxdc. bring a warm coat.Sometimes cedar point is under water that time of year ,Winkley isn,t a bad fsc , Abbott creek fsc. is nicest but probably not accesssable that time of year.Mitchell bay fsc has a couple nice sites,view of moutains(go through Horsefly). I fish the point of mitchell bay along horsefly peninsula.Havn,t been at cariboo island.Buddy swears on side of lynx peninsula.(sorry andy)Rocker point for rainbows.For lakers goto lure is black pearl apex (like a copcar )down 60 to 120 mid summer.The cliffs alongpeninsula bay, quartz mountain good for trolling or jigging.Oh ya troll fast 3-3.5 mph, faster for rainbows,slower for lakers .Niagra falls are cool.good fishing that time of year. Be careful, watch the weather. warning unmarked rocks on north side of cariboo island.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fishhunter. I have marked your suggestions into my GPS. I'll try them all. I am assuming the lakers are fairly shallow in the spring? North or South side of Lynx Penninsula? ( If we're not stressing your buddy too much here:))

·
Registered
138 Posts
Buddy fishes the south sie I,ve fished hobson arm before and hit some. Elysia resort is another option but I havnt stayed there before. Just stopped for gas and a beer in the lounge awsome view.ya their shallower and better rainbow fishing in spring.Buddy caught a 16 lber a few years back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. Your input is much appreciated. Elysia was my first choice. Even contacted them to make reservations but they are not open 'til June 1 this year. Reminds me... Is there anywhere else to get gas up the lake?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mitchell Bay resort I believe.There no other place that I know of.Past Elysia it,s just you and the grizz going up the north or east arms.Good fishing up both but I havn,t been up the north before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spoke with Don at Mitchell Bay Landing. Great guy. Made my decision to set up base camp at his place. Reasonable rates and sufficient services, so a guy doesn't have to be running all over the place trying to stay quipped and fuelled. Even got power to keep the trolling motor charged. We're heading out next Friday. Anyone else have any tips or suggestions? I'll post with the results as the opportunity permits. (when cell service is available). My son is quite a shutter bug on these trips so I'm sure we will have some great fish pics to share.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Spoke with Don at Mitchell Bay Landing. Great guy. Made my decision to set up base camp at his place. Reasonable rates and sufficient services, so a guy doesn't have to be running all over the place trying to stay quipped and fuelled. Even got power to keep the trolling motor charged. We're heading out next Friday. Anyone else have any tips or suggestions? I'll post with the results as the opportunity permits. (when cell service is available). My son is quite a shutter bug on these trips so I'm sure we will have some great fish pics to share.
Some giant, beauty fish in there Willisxdc...definitely share some pics with us when you get back! have always wanted to fish there and hoping to cross it off my list one day.

Looking forward to your report!

:cheers:

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'll echo that Ribby. Always wanted to get in there but never made it up. I've heard stories and seen pics of some beauty fish out of the Mitchell River as well. Apparently some hybrid cuttbows in there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
be careful of the bears up there.
the grizzlies have gotten very brave and aggressive.
be very wary when going ashore anywhere remote.
they'll even come at your boat.

the half gold-half silver apex was our best producer.
and like magic, just drop the downrigger to five feet above the marking fish, and bang, fish-on every time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well we are back!

First let me start by retracting my previous endorsement of Mitchell Bay Landing Resort. We pulled in about 6pm, after 10 hours on the road, only to be told that our phone agreement had been based on a series of "misunderstandings". Don wanted to nearly double our nightly rate, changed our site from 'lakeside' to 'hillside'. He showed us the new "site". A security fenced, grassed in area, next to his boat storage sheds. No fire pit, he said we could use the communal fire pit down by the boat launch. We checked that out and the pit was buried in yard debris and old leaf piles.
Needless to add, we did not stay. Fortunately, I had done my research on the are and knew that there was a BC Rec site only 3 kms up the road. Ended up being the best decision of the trip.
Fishing was extremely slow. Surface temp on arrival was 39F. Numerous weather systems rolled through cuasing huge pressure changes. Had some luck on 'bows up to 3lbs and a 3-5 lb laker. Beautiful lake, great adventure. Made runs to all ends of the lake just to say we had been there. Learning curve on this lake is STEEP. More to come as time permits... Trying to get work caught up.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Too bad it wasn't gangbusters for ya Willisxdc...sounds like you got into some decent ones and had a great trip though. Looking forward to the rest of the reportand some pics too if you got em...scenery, fish, whatever...it's all awesome!

Thanks for sharing!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts