BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I picked up the latest DvD from the AEG boys. A new title, but I think it's the 3rd installment of the Trout Bum Series. The Taimen is a crazy trout/char, that'll eat pretty much anything that crosses it's path. The flys used to catch these fish were huge! Over all, it was another good video. A lot less catching going on than in the 1st two installments. The fishing seemed to be a lot tougher this time around. This is video was a little more focused on the parells of the travel and the culture through some of the harshest landscape on the planet, and the challenges they faced while out there. The cool thing in this movie was the spey casting, and battling these monsters on double handers, which was absent in the TBD. The cinimatography although very good, I found it not quite as on the same level as the TBD. It's a good addition to the video library, and will entertain all the fly bums out there. Still worth the $$. O0

Finder ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was in Mongolia in May 2007 fishing for Taimen. The fishing is very over rated in fact I was disappointed because it was no where near as good as the articles in the various flyfishing magazines. I almost fell off my chair when I read an article and the auther claimed a catch rate of 1 fish for every 4 casts. Try 1 fish for 200 casts!!

It is amazing sight casting in a pool to fish that are 4-6 feet long with an 8 or 9 weight rod. The stike is amazing, the water literally explodes when a Taimen goes after your mouse pattern. Taimen often slash at the "mouse" in an attempt to stun the mouse then he will swallow it. A flyfisher with an itchy trigger finger would pull the fly away when the initial slash occurred.

The real letdown was the fight; once hooked these monsters just sulked and slowly headed for deeper water. Also the fish rarely jumped when caught. Our group of 8 caught over 100 fish and the grad total of jumpers was 1 fish.

My advise is save your money and go to Alaska and catch 30 inch rainbows.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
yes but in anyones book its still a trip of a lifetime :thumbup: glad to hear someone on here has actually done it themselves. All things considered i bet your trip was still awesome :beerchug:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.