BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Heard on the news today that a fish farm in Clayoquot Sound had a net pen tear while harvesting fish. They have not said how many of the 20,000 fish got out but the last I heard they were bringing in commercial trawlers to try and catch them. Here is a link to an article on the escape: http://www.focs.ca/ :naughty:

You have to wonder when the government is going to listen to their own studies and put in the closed pen farms, but I guess as long as Jimmy Pattison is calling the shots it's not going to happen any time soon. :wallbash:

Centerpin 8)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I heard it could be a few hundred to a few thousand...but they won't know for a while yet.

Funny, their own seiner ripped it open. D'oh!

I also read somewhere last night that many of the fish farm employees and biologists are leaving BC for work elsewhere, such as New Zealand.

Geez, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Not sure about the term 'commercial trawlers' Centerpin. Trawlers fish for groundfish by means of bottom or midwater trawls and are ill suited to catch salmon, other than by incidental catch. Commercial trollers, on the other hand, do catch salmon of course but I would suggest are ill suited to 'corral' errant farmed salmon. Likewise, seine or gillnet boats would have little chance to catch many of them before they dispersed. Seems those fish are 'lost'.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Centerpin said:
I heard they were bringing in commercial trawlers to try and catch them

I think you heard trollers. those fish will readilly hit anything that moves and they should be on that by now before the fish disperse. On top of that they are a means of selective fishing with all the wild stock travelling home. Really it doesnt matter if they were in clayquot it would be the creative salmon farm which as far as I know only deals with springs, and a spring is a spring, even the farmed fish show their spawn colours in the fall and would probably latch onto any school that passes and spawn with them.
Now if this was a bunch of splatlantics (ever seen kudoa :-\) I would be more concered

lol just read the news release.......they are atlantics :wallbash: didnt know they were still doing those up there.... that sux

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.