BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D GOOD TOO SEE FISHERIES ON THE VEDDER ! Im amazed at the fact that i have seen fisheries on the vedder 2x in the last week or two ....Love that !!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I would agree that it would be great to see more fisheries guys on the river, but I haven't seen any in about three years. But good to know they're out there....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Were they CO's or DFO guys? In 6 years I have never been checked by DFO at the Vedder , Fraser or Chehalis. I have seen and been questioned by CO's at Kilbey and Nicomen slough. Glad to hear they are out there! :D

·
Registered
648 Posts
I spoke with a CO a couple of weeks ago at a small local ditch, I mean river . My understanding is that they depend on the large number of honest fisherman on the Vedder to report violations etc. It's hard to believe that there are only 3 CO's in the entire lower mainland!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:D Co 's and I've seen them cheking licences on the vedder 2x in the last 2 weeks ! one at the canal the other at the crossing ...Also bergler told me he was cheked as well on another day that i was not ther !

·
Registered
917 Posts
I would think that CO's would be the logical choice, since steelhead are under Provincial jurisdiction, while salmon are under federal (DFO) jurisdiction. Then again - can CO's or DFO fishery officers both enforce salmon/steelhead regulations that are not their own jurisdiction? Perhaps so. I believe police (RCMP) may play a role in enforcement here as well. In either case - having an enforcement presence out there is critical.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I landed & released an 8 lb wild steelie today on the the lower Vedder. i didn't know it at the time but two CO's were standing on the dyke behind me. After checking my license and hook, they commended me for the gentle release of the fish which wasn't removed from the water at all. Good to see the out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts