BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been snapping up Roderick Haig Brown books on the internet at the advice of an older gent that I know who has fly fished for years and was telling me to get some of his literature. Amazing books by the way for people who really love not just BC's fly fishing opportunities but the our abundance of wildlife as well. I would recommend them to anyone who hasnt picked one up. While searching them out I came across this old video on Youtube while searching and thought it would be worth it to share. As you can see some of the methods we use for releasing fish are a little different than they used to be......... Gotta love really old footage.

Part 1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LPQNC6XKaCg&feature=related
Part 2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YMtTydw5_dA

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Fisherman's Winter is my favorite of the "seasons of a fisherman" series. Chile and Argentina have been in my dreams ever since.

I second Dereke's reccomendation to any fly fishers out there, read some Haig-Brown if you have not yet, you will love it.

Edited due to the author being a bone head :p

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I'll add my voice to the rest, but I would encourage every angler, either gear, fly or just plain worm and hook angler to take up any of Haig-Brown's writings. He is the best of the best.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im waiting for all four of the seasons of a fisherman to arrive, cant wait. Im reading " Return to the river" which is excellent so far. I also read Bright waters, bright fish, which was very good as well. Some of the original print of his books are really expensive, $300 or more. Fishermans winter was the book that was recommended to me first but took a while to find an affordable copy, alot of his books are now out of print. It should be here soon. Happy to have really good books to read during the summer. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Great call to start a Haig Brown collection, I think I should consider doing the same.

You will be very happy with the "seasons" books when you get them. The "winter" was my favorite but the others are great as well. They really bring you back to the days when Van Isl was unbelievably blessed. It's a neat glimpse back to his time through a descriptive and conservation minded (unknown for those days) anglers eyes.

Off topic, but on the topic of must reads for anglers I will suggest "The Run of the River" by Mark Hume. It is a little bit dated but the issues are very real and many similar issues face our fisheries today.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey,
This is slightly off topic, and by no means do i want to hijack here, but if you guys are looking for another great read, try 'The River Why?" by David James Duncan. It is set in the Northwest (Oregon) and is about self discovery and meaning through fishing. Wonderful book...good commentary on bait vs. fly fishing... super fun book..
Cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.