BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I am going to be driving across the country this summer, and I fully intend to make a fishing holiday of the trip. I already have some fly fishing plans for Alberta, and I will probably spend a day on Diefenbaker Lake. I want to use this as an opportunity to target some different species too, so I am looking for suggestions and advice. I really want to do a guided trip in the Red River for catfish, so any information about what to look for and who to book with will be greatly appreciated. I would also like to target some big pike or musky, maybe on the fly. I don't even know which province is best for this, let alone which area or who to book with, or even if a charter is necessary.

Any other not-to-miss fish, please let me know.

I will be traveling in July, if this makes any difference.

Thanks.

243 Posts
What about something like flyfishing for gar? I have never done it and all I know is that it looked pretty fun when I saw a show on it on the Bay of Quinte on Lake O but it would sure add something different to the species list. What about atlantics, I'm not positive but I think that they start running in decent numbers around July? I would love to catch an atlantic and it would be pretty high up on my list if I were heading that way.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would head down the yellow head north of Kamloops, Jasper, Loyd, Prince Ablert and bac down. If you do I will key you into some lakes for double digit bows that will spool you and small lakes with 10+lb pike. I have GPS and tracks for some areas and can also create points for ones you should hit. Better fishing that AB. Email me if you want a link to see some pictures. [email protected]

Cheers, Rob

PS: I might be heading that way with the truck camper boat the first 2 weeks of July.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I don't know how much time you have on the prairies but I highly recommend getting up to Narrow Hills Provincial Park in Saskatchewan. Depending on the weather in July (if it stays cool for a bit longer than usual), the fish might not go down until near the end of the month as the park is fairly far north. You can get all kinds of species up there - rainbows, tiger trout, splake, browns, brookies - often in the same lake. There are 20+ lakes within a 30 minute drive of each other. Small streams hold brookies and browns.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In July the Nipigon River will be going off! (Just past Thunder Bay-access points in and around the city of Nipigon) The upper river has some of the best natural Brook Trout fishing in the world, numbers and size are first class. The Lower will have summer steel along with walleye, pike, lake trout, brookies and potentially Chinook. The area is where I grew up/recently moved from and in my humble opinion if you are traveling across Canada fishing and don’t fish this world class fishery you are nuts. PM me for more in-depth information.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Gotta get some pike fishing in and walleye fishing in. Water that interests me would be in Manitoba. Lake Nipigon in Ontario and also the Ottawa river for Muskie. I'd love to fish Newfoundland again...many dirt roads to nowhere and plenty of trout.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Kryptonite said:
What about something like flyfishing for gar? I have never done it and all I know is that it looked pretty fun when I saw a show on it on the Bay of Quinte on Lake O but it would sure add something different to the species list. What about atlantics, I'm not positive but I think that they start running in decent numbers around July? I would love to catch an atlantic and it would be pretty high up on my list if I were heading that way.
Having grown up in Trenton, ON and right on the Bay of Qunte, I can tell you the fishing used to be excellent for bass, walleye, pike, muskie...almost anything that had fins (even catfish). The zebra mussel infestation of Lake Ontarion has severely affected the fishing in the Bay of Q. The weeds are now so abundant it's hard to get a lure down to depth and fishing topwater lures only bring the occassional strike.

There are better waters to fish as you travel up the river towards the #1 and #3 dam, near Frankford. Stirling (just off the 401 Hwy) and, further north, Bancroft also have excellent fishing. Completely bypass Belleville if you can. Kingston has an excellent bass fishery with smallmouth ranging from 2lbs up to 8lbs. My brother has a Skeeter bass boat and lives in Kingston and the Thousand Islands area would be the place to start (not including all the history and culture in the area).

Best of luck on your trip :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.