BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
WD40 works though.... for some reason the fish like that smell. I think the smell of your hands will only have effect on some species of fish. I was having a really hard time using artificial baits for Steelhead this year (was my 1st real year, fished like 10 times for them last year) until someone told me to wash my hands before touching my bait and maybe adding some scent. The next month and a half after that was great for me (Might be because it was march/april) but I think washing your hands before touching your hook helps for some picky species of fish. Im not sure if scents of oil, gas, tobacco, etc would matter but I think "human scent" might have some effect. Has any one else found this to be true at all?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Quote from: mrmugs on June 02, 2008, 08:45:42 PM
Fish can "smell" the grease or whatever is on your hands and that can kill your chances for a bite
You are absolutely right. It's something I often think about out on the water but I smoke like a damn chimney anyway so I'm sure the horrible smell of that gets on my flies when I handle them. Plus no water or cleaning products at work.
Just use a drop of garlic juice it will mask any smell and the fish like it too

As for WD40 lets not go there again :wallbash:

Sturgeon fishing?
in Region 2 - Lower Mainland

Sturgeon fishing? by abbyfireguy
... think we went round and round on the WD40 thing last year till I got seasick.. : ...
March 23, 2006, 09:10:23 PM

·
Registered
88 Posts
I believe some smells do scare fish.I read one of jack Shaw's books where he says he refused to eat oranges when fishing.After reading his book, I started to pay more att. to hand smells and my bite ratio increased.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Agreed I always grab a hand full of muck from the shore of a lake before tieing on a fly. I was convinced after talking extensively with Mo Bradley in Kamloops about how well fish can smell in the water that keeping scent off of a fly will make a difference. Especially when using a suspended presentation ie chironomid where a fish can swim up to your fly and stare at it before biting.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Yes, smells can have an effect on your catch ratio, for sure! I tend to not shower or use deodorant for two weeks, that sometimes works but at the least, it well keep anglers away from you on the water!! :happy: :happy: I feel sorry for the guys up a Roche, cause it has actually been three weeks this time around!! :eek: ;) ;)

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Rick Baerg said:
Yes, smells can have an effect on your catch ratio, for sure! I tend to not shower or use deodorant for two weeks, that sometimes works but at the least, it well keep anglers away from you on the water!! :happy: :happy: I feel sorry for the guys up a Roche, cause it has actually been three weeks this time around!! :eek: ;) ;)
I was only kidding guys/gals :-X Was just trying to have some fun!! :beerchug:

:cheers: Rick

·
Registered
260 Posts
A great natural solution for any waters that allow bait is to use anise oil available from health food stores. It is bit more pleasant than roe or lakeside mud.

It would be considered bait and would be impossible not to transfer to your flies or lures and therefore should not be used on a water that does not allow bait.

Nor should you use it if you do not agree with or do not want to use 'bait'.

Just an alternative.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am convinced that over handling gear or baits will turn fish off of your gear especially when bar fishing and using spoons or plugs that the fish need to come to and take. If you are not convinced try this: wash all your gear at home (plugs, spoons, spinngloes etc ) place in ziploc bags till you get to the river. take some fresh surgical gloves along and set up on rod using the gloves and then take them of and set up your other rod and watch which one gets more hits. and the way the hits are. the rod that you used the gloves on will get more and harder hits than the other most of the time. I wear gloves when i guide for springs most of the time as we find we get better hits and the hold on for longer allowing clients better hooksets It works great .
my :2cents:
cheers
oliver

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I'm with swiftwater, mask your smell and wash your gear.
Sunlight or tooth paste for plugs, spinners and lures and sunlight and water for jigs(hang to dry).
Also wash your lures after you land a fish, this has been proven to be essential by Bob Toman, the master of Chinook fishing. Actually he will retire a lure after 4 or 5 fish and only use it again a few months later, I think that may be overkill, but washing it after every fish is my technique.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I wash all my gear with lemon joy (i know its so cliche) you have to get it from the states because its impossible to get up here,we have a client bring some up every year but you can find it in bellingham or other stores just across the line. I mix it with a a bottle of pure anise oil and use this to clean everything ,hooks,spoons,plugs, reels, boat and tiller motor handle. sounds excessive but i believe in it and it works for me. I would have to agree with bent rods about after you get a fish clean it of as well.I usually have a few of the same rigs that i am fishing set and ready so that when we get a fish I just snap on a new one and the gear goes back out, and wash the other during down time between bites if you get a chance but i usuall dont fish the same rig after a fish. once i have the gear washed I keep it in a small tupperware with river water for the next day

·
Registered
695 Posts
i like to keep my all my gear fairly clean as once the oders begins then warm water and dishsoap works well,i also rub anise oil on my hands prior to handling any bait as this will last for a while and re apply as needed as i also think the human oders turn the bite off.

scruffy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.