BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I am lucky enough to have access to a sturdy Dory on the west side of Bowen on Canada day, and want to row around - maybe Keats, Roger Curtis, or Wherlcomb (not sure of spelling). I want to travel light with a passenger to hold the rod. Question - where do you guys recommend, time of day? The low is @ 11am - and what spoon should i drag? or should i used anchovy and a heavy mooching weight? What depth? I will be fishing with a sturdy spinning rod, no riggers, sounder etc...

Ideally, I would like a nice mature to tow me around for a bit...

Thanks guys, have a great weekend...

· Registered
461 Posts
Hate to say it, but with no riggers (if you really want a fish) you better be out at first light. You might find fish shallower in the wee hours. Much beter for lack of wind also, which is also preferable in a small boat. With a spinning rod, forget about a large flasher. You might be able to get away with using one of the small 8 inch flashers and still get some depth. You're probably best to drag a spoon or bait with from 6 to 12 oz of weight to get the line down a ways. The amount of weight is pretty much dictated by how heavy a rod and line you are using.

good luck

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks big guy. it sounds like i should dust off the old mooching rod. i have a single action diawa circa 80s and put 25lb mono on it lat year. that may be a better choice for getting deeper. i have seen reports of people catching from 50-100' in howe sound? i should be able to get in that range, but probably not too much deeper i am guessing....

i was thinking of going without a flasher, just a 6 or 8 oz weight, but can attach a flasher if you guys think it will increase the odds?

· Registered
461 Posts
If you're rowing a flasher probably isn't the way to go. You could try dragging a cut plug herring on the mooching rod with a mooching weight (around 10oz). Not sure if you know how to tie and rig a cut plug herring, If not, Anchovy or herring in a teaser head behind a mooching weight is the other best bet. If you're not familiar with rigging bait, a spoon and weight is also a good way to go.

Good to see somone so keen to catch Salmon, the guys with boats abd all the electronics can sometimes take it for granted. I hope you have a good day on the water, and hope you show the guys with all the gear how it's done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.