BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member on this forum. I have visited the site for a couple of months on a daily basis and find it hugely useful for tips and technical things.

Maybe I need to post ten times to get into more detailed fishing reports but it seems that most guys who respond are fishing within sight of Vancouver. Does anybody fish Hakai, Milbank, Burke Channel, etc any more?

From reading the forum as a guest, I know more about "Hole in the Wall" and Burrard Inlet than any other place.

I live 5 hours from Vancouver or Bella Coola - its easier dragging my boat down the "Freedom Highway" than thru the city (Parking is easier and free in Bella Coola as well).

Does anyone have info on the Central Coast?

· Banned
189 Posts
Fished the Central Coast a number of times have been looking to head back up but it's been terrible slow all over.

Lodges won't even post reports on their websites anymore hardly any Springs and what Coho that are returning are small.

The Charlottes is just as bad from what I hear.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

My wife and I spent a week in the Charlottes at the end of July. It wasn't meant as a fishing trip but did put some hours on the water and hanging around the dock in QC townsite. It was slow. In order to have the fishing the area is famous for you must either: 1) have a significant boat and cash to ferry it from Rupert (we pulled a small RV and the ferry cost $900) or b) significant cash to fly into the fancy lodges.

The only sportie coming into the docks at QCcity with fish made the run to Rennel Sound. At Masset, I saw a few chicken halibut come in.

As I was limited to a 12 " cartopper on this trip, I could not chase fish too far.

I have the Labour Day weekend planned for Burke Channel to (hopefully) Hakai Pass. I'll post results on September 5 or 6. I have heard that the coho are picking up in the last week or so.

cheers,
G

· Registered
16 Posts
Are you just interested in salt fishing right now, or are you up for some local (100 Mile, that is) lake fishing? I'm always eager to get out with someone who knows the local lakes and best places, but haven't been able to hook up so far. The water is getting cooler now, so the fish may be coming up from the depths. I'm looking forward to some lake and/or river fishing soon.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of my energy is put into getting to salt and maintaining my old boat. I find it difficult to get exicited about a 10 or 12 inch trout after being out salmon/halibut fishing.

That aside, I just got back from a local lake that better flyfloggers than me say has brookies from 5-7lbs.

I spent about 4 hours on the water and didn't even have a hint of fish. The water is still too warm generally: the late summer (first few frosts) might be better.

I have two more weeks of fishing (one weekend out of Bella Coola and a couple of day trips) until I'm back to work after Labour Day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.