·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it's for real...

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forum/index.php/topic,8431.0.html

Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Subject: FN0554-Salmon: Region 2 - Chilliwack River

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Chilliwack River is open to the retention of 4 chinook per day from July 1
to March 31. Effective 00:01 hours, Saturday, August 2, 2008, the current no
fishing boundary has been extended to include the area from the confluence of
the Chilliwack River and Slesse Creek downstream 100 meters to a line between
two triangular boundary signs on either side of the Chilliwack River. This
measure has been put in place to ensure hatchery staff are better able to meet
Chinook brood stock requirements.

This action has been reviewed and is supported by the local Sport Fish Advisory
Committee.

Variation Order No. 2008-310.

Notes:

The aggregate daily limit for all species of Pacific Salmon (other than
kokanee) from tidal and non-tidal waters combined is four (4).

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia. This includes all species of fish in the Fraser
River.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head
Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped
Chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical
information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head
Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-
FISH.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
call DFO Annacis Island at 604-666-8266.

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0554
Sent August 1, 2008 at 1506

·
Registered
789 Posts
fisherforever said:
Wouldn't it be great to see this temporary boundary made permanent.
Not really Gord, all these people that hord that area will now be hording the good fishable spots continuing there fishing ways making it miserable for all of us that fish properly. what needs to be done is there should be more enforcment on that section of the river to get some sort of message across

·
Registered
954 Posts
What needs to be done is to have a leader length restriction put in place. I talked to person at DFO a couple of years ago and was told it could take 2 - 3 years to bring in something like that but I find it very strange that they can change a fishing boundary at the drop of a hat ??? Same old sh%t, keep the anglers fighting among themselves to deflect attention away from them.

·
Registered
789 Posts
fisherforever said:
What needs to be done is to have a leader length restriction put in place. I talked to person at DFO a couple of years ago and was told it could take 2 - 3 years to bring in something like that but I find it very strange that they can change a fishing boundary at the drop of a hat ??? Same old sh%t, keep the anglers fighting among themselves to deflect attention away from them.
True, but there is such a lack of enforcement on the vedder as it is, if they have a leader restriction come in effect who is going to enforce it ??? they can hardy enforce whats going out there right now. time will tell... i have a few sweet spots on the vedder i like to fish and im not looking forward to showing up first light to see some of these guys allready there ripping the shit out of the water ::)

·
Registered
901 Posts
doesnt really matter... they regulars there will move on to other runs and nothing is changing about they way they fish...leader restriction is all well and good but flossing and snagging is apparently better in some spots to short leader... walked by the gong at tamahi last year and most were deep floating short leaders in the rapids...no what do you do about that? more spot closures? that will crowd the river even more.. and the technique isnt changing... make circle hooks mandatory? well theres the matter of enforcement.. and i personally dont like them and wouldnt fish them anyways.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This regulation just makes the other area's more conjested and soon we will all be taking a number to to go fish your favorite spot. Yes we need the conservation to protect this coho run which has been diminishing over the years.
We also need the feds to pump more funding and resources into the fishery so I'm for the closure.

" :yummy:Tight Lines"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.