BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
interesting news flash last night regarding US fisheries.....complete salmon fishing closure anounced for the season for all oregon and california coast fisherman.....they are antisapating a short sports fish opening but that is it.....they said that salmon prices there could hit $40.00 a lb by this summer.....wonder how long before it happens here

·
Registered
708 Posts
at $40.00 a pound retail, you watch how much poaching goes on for "chilliwack chickens" this year. Even at road side prices a 20lber could fetch $100.00 plus no problem. It's going to be a big year for poaching on the Fraser.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
You think that their is a conspiracy from the insiders of fish arming? >:D This plays right into their hands. It's really quite sad but this is what has got to happen if the species is to survive. We all knew this crash was coming. I wonder how much further our gov't will strech the truth before shutting down here.Til it's too late?
:2cents:

Hotrod

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'm not sure that shutting down the fishery all together isn't the solution... although it works, it is unfair to the fisherman. I for one do not fish to keep, I fish to have a good day. I think a better way to go about doing things would to be limit the catch substantually, or just strictly catch and release.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
As the fisherman are a part of the problem, it seems fair that they also bear a part of the burden. Catch and release has been consistently shown to cause mortality in salmon. Much less than catch and kill obviously, but it is not zero impact. In the case of the Sacramento Chinook stocks, the numbers expect to return this year are 50.000. This is down from 800,000 a few short years ago. They are looking at a near complete collapse of the entire fish stock. Their attitude seems to be that no one will be allowed to interfere with the returning stocks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.