BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.guys

looking to find out about fishing desolation sound,were heading up there next week.any thoughts
on where in that area is good bets on getting fish and what methods work best up there? i.e
trolling,mooching or jigging.for salmon and ground fish. thanks fishtail...... :D

·
Registered
816 Posts
There are places on the way up but Desolation is desolate for salmon fishing. The only real places is the chanal from Staurt Is. and Bute (or is it Towben In.). The rest is ho-hum. Sure salmon are caught time to time but no one goes there to catch em. Cortes off the Strait side can have some fish, Middlenatch, Grant reefs, Savory Is... but to be hosest if you got a prawn trap Pendral Sound will give you more prawns than salmon you cast in Desolation.
The Strait side o Squirl Cove has seen some fish... and if Pink are about its easy.

Have fun Jason.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi...We'll be heading out from Campbell River on Aug 18 to make our way in to Desolation Sound. Along the way what tips do you have for fish locations, prawns and oysters? Are the oysters still good this time of the year? Thanks...any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
As Jay said.......Desolation Sound itself is pretty "desolate" for fish. There is however fairly good prawning in all sorts of areas; it does depend on where you are headed. Oysters......you don't want em now; I think there is a PSP advisory pretty much everywhere but you may want to check DFO website to be sure.

You will start to see fish if you head further north up towards the North end of Sonora Island and around Stuart Island (Dent Island) as Jay mentioned. From Campbell River you are roughly looking at about 30 miles to the northeast.

"If" you do head further north.....the fish tend to be down 70-120' but there are some areas where you can try bucktailing as one of the locals had told me they were having the odd bit of success. I know when I was up there last year the guides out of Dent Island were saying the depth's I mentioned were the "target" zone; having said that....you just never know.

One things to bear in mind......as you make your way up further north; you should be prepared to not bother swimming as the water in Desolation can range almost up to the low 80's in some areas like Pendrell Sound; as you get towards Stuart/Sonora area you are going to be back down in the high 50's. It all depends on what your priority is for your trip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts