BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing the Vedder today and some guy thought it was ok to fish beside me downstream in my run :shock:
Please for those who dont know here is a quote from the regs

Avoid entering the water downstream of another angler who is already fishing unless invited to do so

Leave adequate room between the angler downstream and yourself but do not remain stationary unless no one is following you

After catching a fish,step out of the line and return to the head of the pool,or start of the line

If you are not sure about the local etiquette avoid any problems by first enquiring about the procedures from the anglers already on the water

· Registered
1,386 Posts
Yeah I've noticed that about the vedder. I guess there is way too many people out there so guys just try and jump in everywhere. It would be nice to be asked though. Last week on the vedder I had many guys step in below me. Some asked but most just went right at it. I find it best to shrug my shoulders then keep on fishing. That sure would suck if he stepped in below you and nab the steelie sitting in there :evil:

Cheers

· Registered
247 Posts
i also find that people will walk in below you but when they come to the water and the only space available is below you they will step in rather than waiting till the top opens up. i can't say as i blame them especially if they've come on a long drive or trip to get there, they want their time on the water also. and some guys really like the water they are in and WILL NOT be moving down, so what are we to do.

· Registered
1,519 Posts
That's the Vedder for you! It's always been like that since I've known it. Just get in there and do it! Hurts pretty good when they hook a fish below you though!.

Hotrod

· Registered
2,676 Posts
If I notice somebody's hugging a rock in a run, I always ask to see if I can slip in below them. I find a little jesture of curtiousy goe's along way. Other wise if there's anglers actively working down a run, then I'll slip in at the top provided there's enough room to do so.. Over all it is the Vedder, so I just roll with it as it comes and try not to get too bent out of shape...

Finder :D

· Registered
24 Posts
It's a given on that river. Makes me want to avoid the Vedder for the most part. I fish to enjoy my day...not stress about it. :D But when I go...as hard as it is sometimes, I too just shrug my shoulders & carry on when it happens. :roll:

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
tough when not everybody's on the same page..... I try to just slowly fish in from above, sometimes as I near the guy at the top of the run they will fish they're way down and let me in, (probably some of you guys whom I don't know yet !), But usually I find most guys stay put, but they look the type that would be more comfortable sitting there in a lawn chair for the day!!! :D

· Registered
224 Posts
Yes. Hard to know what to do. Some runs are fished best bottom up. Sometimes I just want to fish a spot. Some guys got their arses bolted to the rocks. They can usually be moved with sarcasm (You're not really fishing THAT crappy piece of water, are you?). The funniest is when there is a picket line of guys on a run. I will make all kinds of noise, scrambling down the bank. Everyone of those guys will reel in as fast as he can and race to a new spot. If the "new spot" is so much better than where they were, why aren't they there in the first place? If I really want a spot, I will hide in the bushes until the moment a guy sends out a Hail Mary cast. As soon as it is in the air, in I go!

Dinsdale

· Registered
22 Posts
When I am on the river the most common response that I ever hear from one angler to another is "QUOTE" Who The H*** Do You Think You Are-You Don`t Own The ******* River---------and I guess up to a point the person is right--As for me,I totally refuse to put myself in the position to partake in any verbal diarrhea-I would rather give the run a rest and come back later-quite often the ones with the big voice do not do well on the river anyways--But--To each his own--

· Registered
113 Posts
Simply, the best rule is not to cast a line where it can have any conflict with other angler's - regardless I am the first one for the spot or not. Etiquett is for gentlemen and teaching it to dogs will be vain.

· Registered
909 Posts
Good points chummer. I agree in the perfect world it would be nice to have a common ediquette on the river, but in our world of weekend warriors it just aint gonna happen. I find salmon season much worse though. It seems with steelheading there seems to be more proper mannered folks on the river who understand the meaning of working a piece of water. I like dinsdales idea about crashing down the bank, but hes right its funny how people will move right in on a spot even though they are in the prime one to start with. Also there's no point getting into a confrentation with some one out there, let them think they are the kings of the spot, out fish them and show em who's your daddy :D
Just a couple recent observes on the water
Crazy Drifter 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.