BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i went out for a few hours today to mountain slough out by agassiz looking for cuttys or rainbow. pretty much just played around. has anyone been out there before, is there a better place to go that is local. i live in abby now. what kind of flies work the best? thanks

· Registered
334 Posts
As far as I've heard the most effective flies for cutties at this time of year are those beaded single egg patterns with the bit of wool around them that looks like membrane. I can't remember what they're called.

· Registered
97 Posts
this time of year your best bet would be egg imitations{glo bugs} or flesh patterns tyed with rabbit zonkers,as we get closer to spring the fry will be hatching,then minnow patterns work well,cutty fishing can be like hunting,keep searching until you find some fish then its game on.

· Registered
787 Posts
I was out yesterday hooked 2 lost 1 , caught on Fry patterns and another pattern (Its a secret) personly i think your better off tossing fry more than eggs, The fry are starting to hatch, saw a couple swimming around where i was yesterday.

Black wooly Buggers (Marabou and Hackle)
Leach Patterns (Marabou and dubbing my favourite is Red/Black mix dubbing)
Flesh Patterns with rabbit strip or flesh patterns with flesh coloured marabou
Fry patterns
Egg patterns (Peach chenille with gold or silver bead head The small thin Chenille)
Stickle back patterns
Rolled Muddlers (Natural coloured)
Various Insect patterns (saw a few weird looking bugs yesterday floating on the surface no clue what they were)

Dave I sent you a Pm

· Registered
97 Posts
if the fry are starting to hatch then yes use the fry patterns,good to hear you got into a couple,due to the aggressive nature of the cutties they will readily take anything that resembles a food source,but at different times of the year there are different foods that are more prevalent and the fish seem to key on them on a more regular basis,ie,eggs and carcasses in the fall and winter after the salmon have spawned and fry when they start to hatch ,the cutties tend to gorge themselves on them, at any given time all the patterns you have mentioned will work with varying degrees of success depending on what the fish are keying on at that time of year,i have also caught them in the fall using different nymphs pattern such as the dragon or stone fly,the main battle with cutty fishing is to find them,once you have done that you should be able to get into them with several different paterns but the old saying still rings true for your best success is to match the hatch . :beerchug:

· Registered
97 Posts
cutties do tend to show themsevles,especially when they are chasing fry around,but this is not allways the case ,just because you dont see them doesnt mean they are not there,if i am fishing an area that usually holds fish i will fish the water much the same as if you are fishing steelhead by covering water until you find the fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.