BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,484 Posts
There are approx 10 types of sharks found in the waters surrounding Vancouver Island....which kind are you talking about?

If you're talking about Dogfish (which is a type of shark), they'll eat anything and could be at any layer in the column.

· Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Sharks will not be found in the straits as the current seems to come from the inside strait (from hardy) and south.... around victoria then out past Cape Flattery. Now if you go out of renfrew to the outside of the bank..... nother story. 10 types of shark I can believe.....but. The sharks you will see are.... the occasional great white(as the are one of the few sharks that can regulate their body temp) and they do frequent these waters. You will see blues quite a bit....caught many but only in times when the temp is up a couple degrees (not this year as the water is down a couple), Six gills will hit bottom bait offerings but are few and far between and VERY docile(somewhat like a nurse shark) and the one that you would want to target....but...... have no info on it as I have only seen them and never caught one, would be the salmon shark...youtube it... they are built like a mako and fight hard... if you can find them that would be some fun
hope that helps

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last time I was on the a gulf island a kid broke off a shark off a pier. We used to walk down and get icecream with the kids. I see no reason why I couldn't land a little 2 or 3 ft-er. Is a special licence needed?

· Registered
3,928 Posts
scuro....

"If" it was on one of the gulf islands and caught off a pier.....I would guess it was a dogfish (as mentioned earlier, a type of shark).

You get in the right area and you can toss almost anything down at them. Last September we were hooking them constantly fishing around the Bell Buoy off Point Grey and donating plenty of anchovies to their cause. :wallbash:

· Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Pippen said:
scuro....

"If" it was on one of the gulf islands and caught off a pier.....I would guess it was a dogfish (as mentioned earlier, a type of shark).

You get in the right area and you can toss almost anything down at them. Last September we were hooking them constantly fishing around the Bell Buoy off Point Grey and donating plenty of anchovies to their cause. :wallbash:
Doggies....or bigger?

· Registered
170 Posts
dogfish(sharks) have a very good sense of smell so artifical lures don`t work very well for them. Use real bait. I usually toss them back after I hook them. One day I brought one back for my neighbor to cook. He made curried dogfish. It was surprisingly good.

If you plan to do any crabbing or prawning. Dogfish also work well as bait

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Fishaholic said:
Anybody else see the boat wake in front of that "Shark"

that aint real.....cool concept tho
I didn't see the wake the first time, but looked for it the 2nd time and definitely saw it.

On top of that, sharks don't stay on the surface when they're hooked; they dive...fast! There's a show on OLN every now and then about shark fishing tournaments in Southern California and the sharks almost rip the rods out of the boats when they dive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.