BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time in a long time I've got to find a summer job and since this is most likely the last time I get to work at something fun, I was thinking of applying for a guiding job up north. I was wondering if there's anyone on here who I could get in touch with to find out if its worth applying for or which places are better... I'm pretty much in the dark as to working condition, wages, and whether it actually a good gig. All I do know is that I can put fish in a boat, I didn't mind working in camps for up to 20 days and I get along with most people. Any advice welcome.
Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
11 Posts
sounds like a good time bigjay,

several friends have guided up north in past years. not sure which is best. i would stick with the larger longtime outfits. be selective as some outfits are way better than others, do your homework!!! the tips that they received were very good. if you are hooking into fish on a regular basis, you will be getting some heavy tips. great contacts can be made as well. select a lodge that has similiar fishing grounds to what you are used to. be sure to tell us about your experience!

good luck and have fun

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Bigjay,

I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to go up to Lanagra Lodge for 4 days. It was one of the best fishing experience in my life. Very professionally run lodge. I was talking with some of the guides and they said that they get min wage plus tips and they have to provide their own reels. They said that the tips mostly makes up for the min wage. Not sure how much of it was true.

If you think of it working 12 hours days being nice and professional all that time can be pretty tough...Especially if you have a bunch of jerks that you have to guide and babysit for 4 days...But if you go there and experience the professionalism from that group of workers and all the smiling faces that you see on these worker you just have to think that this would be a great place to work...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi BigJay. I looked into guiding up North a few years ago. I ended up getting offered a couple of jobs. One outfit (I don't remember which, but one of the biggies) said they take on guys a dock hands for the first year; I wasn't into this. Paragrin Lodge, another big one, offered me a guiding job. I would receive 150$ per day plus tips. They provide one downrigger, and you can bring a second if you like. Speaking with the boss, he said I stood to make 20+ grand for 4 month's work. Only one week off though. I wish I had taken it, but I thought I could make more on the commercial boats (my normal job). I was way wrong that summer -- no salmon, and a broken boat.

If you are interested in trying the commercial thing, I know a few tuna skippers looking for in-breakers. PM me if you want some more info.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey BigJay, If you want some good info from someone who has been a guide on the ocean for a few years at QCL and Bigtime give me a pm and i'll give you my number.

101 :thumbup:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hello BigJay.Let me say, if you havent found a spot at one of the Lodges yet! You better hurry up! As these "Guide positions" Get filled up pretty quick. I spent a few years guiding in Rivers Inlet and Hakai Pass.The Money wasnt all that great! But the fishing was incredible! And 80% of the crew came back every year! So its not easy getting a job at some of the better lodges. Peregrine,Langara,Q,C.L. are a couple of the better lodges to guide for! Just remember the wages are nothing. compared to the tips! Good service and good fishing is what brings the guests back every year,And also seems to get a guide more tips for some reason! (most lodges pool the tips and share equaly among the staff! !p.s If you wind up at Peregrine,Ask the Manager, Doug Raffan to throw on the Kilt and drag out the pipes! Damn fine entertainment! Best of luck to you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.