BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on going out to Chilliwack around 6am tomorrow morning from richmond.
I plan on going fishing the chilliwack/vedder river.....I am a newbie to salmon fishing this year...had a blast during the socks :D ...I need some adivce as to how many lb line i need to use and leaders....as well as what types of fish in there to catch right now?? any helpful tips would be great ..also the types of lures?? bait?? whoool?? anything helps hah.

cheers

·
Registered
89 Posts
I do see long leaders as well, but not excessively long, usually 2ft or less. What I do see is alot of, is incorrect float settings (sideways floats everywhere), I think what a lot of the guys are doing is just trying to get their presentation bouncing along the bottom, or just dont know what they are doing. I believe you can have more success by getting your presentation off the bottom a bit for sure. About a week ago I was fishing a run just down from the train bridge (powerlines?) and it was sideways float action by every one there, and people snagging bottom alot, spoke to one fellow after he fought a snag for 10 minutes or so, and showed him a more appropriate setup (leader length, and float setting) and lo and behold, he wasnt ignorant, just unknowledgable on a proper set up.(turned out he was over from Scotland, and wanted to go fishing) Switched up his set up, and got him self a nice big stinky spring. I guess my point is that there ARE alot of newbies on this river, and sometimes they are very open to knowledge. (not all, but some) Take the time to help at least one fisherman on the river, and you may be rewarded. Its like elections, you can't bitch about the govt if you dont vote, if you wont take the time to help others, I dont think you have the right to be upset about bad/wrong techniques.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Shorter Leader Lines

Well, thanks for letting me know I need shorter leader lines. I will in the future, be glad to use shorter lines. I did not know... Haven't hooked on yet on the Fraser, but am sure glad my techinque or style was wrong...

It sounds like most of what I read indicated 18 -24" and I seemed to always err with more line...

Sounds like I should err on the less line side...

Thanks again for the correct info...

·
Registered
45 Posts
In the river systems or the ocean? I've heard it was next to impossible to catch sockeye once they are in the river just because the fact that they are the one salmon that does not feed while migrating home.
Both the river and the chuck.There's not much skill needed to catch them in the chuck if you've got a boat and a downrigger . In the rivers they tend to be a challenge to catch and many people get frustrated, but not impossible. I find it very rewarding to catch sockeye on the fly, which is the method I use most when fishing for sockeye. More times than not, I'll come home empty handed, but that's okay, it's called fishing not catching. I still get my fair share during the season, if I partake. This summer was a month long trout trip to the interior instead of fishing the local flow's. By what I see in some of the videos and stories, I didn't miss a thing. As far as tips/tricks for the Vedder is concerned, I think the more time you spend out there, the more you will learn, and asking an old timer is always a good option, just do it with some class, or you might get the LOOK lollol.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
they are the one salmon that does not feed while migrating home.
Based on what I've read, all salmon stop feeding when they enter their natal stream. They are enticed to bite for a variety of other reasons however.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I know it's about the Vedder :p But just in case shpere500 meant the Fraser I thought I'd post that up. As far as the Vedder just look for all the vehicles in the canal. I'm on holidays all month and enjoying some nice little spots just tossing spoons and spinners. As far as tips for spoons and spinners - low clear water, smaller the better - high coloured water, don't be afraid to go big.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hey fellas, this thread is about tips and techniques for the Vedder. I don't think that the original poster was hoping to create the eight thousandth flossing thread on this site. It is incredibly boring to read this same old flamewar again and again.

In regards to the actual thread:
I've heard from a number of people that the Vedder has been tough in general so far this year (I know it has been for me on the fly), but spinners seem to be producing coho fairly consistently.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey fellas, this thread is about tips and techniques for the Vedder. I don't think that the original poster was hoping to create the eight thousandth flossing thread on this site. It is incredibly boring to read this same old flamewar again and again.

In regards to the actual thread:
I've heard from a number of people that the Vedder has been tough in general so far this year (I know it has been for me on the fly), but spinners seem to be producing coho fairly consistently.
true enough, blades have been doing some damage as well, lots of roe being stolen by the little guys, but still numero uno IMO

·
Registered
69 Posts
I always use blades or wool. For steelhead, blades and worms. I've tried roe but might not be using it very well as I've never caught anything with it.

The other day I tried different blades and then different colours of wool and nothing. But, when I changed to a tiny piece of red wool less than a cm in diametre I started catching lots of chinook.

Also gotta watch out for bears now. I saw the one of the biggest bears I've ever seen swim across the river at Borden Creek the other day. It was massive! And the walk out from Borden Creek was a little nerve racking after seeing that huge bear and with all the young trees in the dry river bed making it hard to see too far in front of you.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Two weeks ago I encountered a brown/black "cinnamon bear" in the upper river.....As soon as he saw me, he ran back into the bush in a hurry. Be careful out there and announce your movement thru the trees....Ortho

·
Registered
12 Posts
Two weeks ago I encountered a brown/black "cinnamon bear" in the upper river.....As soon as he saw me, he ran back into the bush in a hurry. Be careful out there and announce your movement thru the trees....Ortho
I always carry my Bear Mace with me, it is attached to the side of my backpack, and shoots 15-18 feet.

Good to have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts