BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any experience fishing the North Saskatchewan (fly) or any of the lakes within the area? I'm going to visit my dad for a couple weeks and would definitely like to hit the water a few times. Thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Lots of decent fishing in the Edmonton area. I've personally caught walleye, pike and goldeye from the NSR. I typically just walk down to the deep hole close to my place and toss around a small spinner or a small spoon. I usually get a few fish each time I'm out.

There is also some pretty awsome dry fly fishing in the evenings, when the goldeye are in. Goldeye are schoolers so when a school rolls by and they start surface feeding its pretty impressive. They are pretty dumb and take to the dry very easily. I would reccomend something very durable such as a chernoble ant.

Lakes are ok too. Nice thing about them is that you can take out anyone and pretty much be guareteed to get them into fish. Unfortunate part is that all those pictures of big pike you see in magazines were not taken in the summer and were not taken anywhere near a sizable population of people. But smaller pike and walleye are still good for a little fun. If you do decide to hit a lake try to find one that you can keep a walleye out of. They are very very tasty fish.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would go with the 6wt. IMO goldeye aren't the greatest fighters despite how much they jump, however, there is always the chance that you could tie into a pike in which case its nice to have the extra backbone.

I fished the NSR twice this past weekend. First evening I fished for about 45 minutes and ended up getting 5 goldeye and 1 25" pike that followed me in to about 3' of shore before it decided to hit. Second evening I was out for about an hour but was only able to manage 2 goldeye. Either way, good fishing considering I can just walk from my door to the river.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.