BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that did not now this, you can now purchase and pay online for a Freshwater Fishing Licence for recreational purposes. Here is the direct link to do so, http://j100.gov.bc.ca/pub/ras/signin.asp

· Premium Member
3,684 Posts
They have been since Sept. of last year as far as I know.......... O0

Wait a minute.... >:D What the....?? :happy:

Someones been working overtime again..

:beerchug: Marko

· Registered
1,660 Posts
(As posted on FFBC) So I'm wondering why a government website that is collecting personal information, including our birthdate, for the purpose of issuing a license has not been deemed important enough to be encrypted? Or at least it looks that way to me, but I'm not a computer expert...I just don't see the usual padlock symbol indicating to me that the connection is secure. Maybe someone else more knowledgeable can explain it to me?

I sent them an email anyway:
Hi:

I am interested in registering an account so I can take advantage of this new fishing e-license service online, but I am very troubled that a government agency who is collecting information online for the purpose of issuing a license hasn't thought about our security enough to make the process a secure and encrypted one.

Why would this be allowed to happen, and how can I be assured that as I am registering, logging on, and entering my information, that the connection that I am using is secure and the information that I enter, including my birthdate, will not be intercepted and fraudulently used by others?

Thank you.
We'll see what they say...

· Registered
338 Posts
Well I hadn't thought about that. I tried to purchase a steelhead tag online, having already bought my basic license. However, you can not do this. If you buy your basic license on-line you can buy a tag on-line at a later date. But if you buy a basic license from a store, you can not buy a tag on-line. I think this is a shortcoming.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
stone said:
(As posted on FFBC) So I'm wondering why a government website that is collecting personal information, including our birthdate, for the purpose of issuing a license has not been deemed important enough to be encrypted? Or at least it looks that way to me, but I'm not a computer expert...I just don't see the usual padlock symbol indicating to me that the connection is secure. Maybe someone else more knowledgeable can explain it to me?

Hi:

I am interested in registering an account so I can take advantage of this new fishing e-license service online, but I am very troubled that a government agency who is collecting information online for the purpose of issuing a license hasn't thought about our security enough to make the process a secure and encrypted one.

Why would this be allowed to happen, and how can I be assured that as I am registering, logging on, and entering my information, that the connection that I am using is secure and the information that I enter, including my birthdate, will not be intercepted and fraudulently used by others?

Thank you.
There must be something wrong with their site. I know when I purchased my licence (Aug last year) it was secure, otherwise I never would have purchased it online.

I'm very interested to hear what they have to say because it's almost time to renew.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
stone said:

Hi:

Thank you.
I just went through the process myself to see what the situation was. The only "secure" section is the payment site. I believe the rational is that all the information (birthdate, address, sex.etc.) is readily available now in a myriad of areas.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
If you are wanting to go steelheading in April I would suggest you buy your licence and tag on line as the government is having a delay getting theirs stamps from the printer. This means that you mat not be able to purchase your stamp till later in the season.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
professori said:
A lot of he shops haven't even had the basic licenses delivered to them for sale in April.
Hatch Matchers had to pick the licenses up at the government agency office and they where the ones that informed him about the delay in stamps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.