BC Fishing Reports banner

what type of fishing line do you prefer?

• mono

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • fireline

• spiderline

• tuffline

• other

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You see some of these products I have never heard of I would apperciate the feed back on it. I tried Fireline a couple of times and was very disapionted on it ability to break when when casting a levelwind. The line would cross it's self and snap of it goes :-[ That's why I have the other box :cheers:

· Banned
2,854 Posts
i use fireline for fraser only and 15lb maxima everywhere else as my mainline ;D unless im fly fishing then heaviest is 12lb maxima

what test did you guys use when you found the fireline crappy? i use 80lb works great hasnt snapped once. 2 seasons and going strong ;D

HOOK

· Registered
11 Posts
I use no less than 50lb Fireline in the Fraser.Less than that breaks off and binds on the reel. 50 gets me out of almost all snags and brings up the other guys rigs so I get fish and extra gear to bring home.

I use 14lb Fireline on my spinning reel to fish spinners and spoons,it outcasts mono by a considerable distance and you can feel the takes better (no mono stretch).

On my centerpin nothing beats Maxima Chameleon (the dark stuff) very tuff and much less stretch than Ultragreen.
I like to fish stinky white springs with my centerpin.

· Registered
11 Posts
No added stress on gear if you match your rod, swivels and line so all is balanced. When snagged you point the rod tip straight at the snag and back away all the stress is put on the knots and usually breaks the mono knot or the Fireline cuts through the mono line snag.
I double the Fireline back over itself to tie an improved clinch, no line slippage then.

Most important in this technique is no rod stress/breakage from using line more than the rod is rated for. Many a time I've heard the painfull sound of rods breaking from guys using braided lines reefing on their rods to free up a snag.
Some line binding on the reel spool will happen, so you need to pull out a few spool revolutions of line to free the bind... The larger diameter of 50lb braided doesn't dig in as deep as thinner braids.

· Registered
32 Posts
I have used both fireline, and Mono. I like the fireline on my baitcaster because of its limpness and lack of memory, But it is so soft, that I have had a couple times when it has been pulled down into the spool when there has been pressure on it, and it gets stuck :mad:. I ended up partially filling the spool with mono, basically as backing, then put the fireline on after that.

· Registered
909 Posts
Smae as Abby, but I put spider wire on one of my spinning reels this year for spoons, curious to see how that works. But a nice heavy mono 40 + for bbing the Vedder. It holds the big trebs' straight up and down and you can really feel the delco plugs bounce the bottom ;) ;)
Crazy D

· Registered
68 Posts
a nice heavy mono 40 + for bbing the Vedder. It holds the big trebs' straight up and down and you can really feel the delco plugs bounce the bottom
Thanks for the chuckle CD!! ;D Best laugh I've had for a while!! :beerchug: Sometimes it feels like that's what it's coming to, though. ???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.