BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fishing with Berkley Fire Line. It is a bit different but I do like it.
I have been using the 14lb test. Am I safe with that for the red springs or should I bump it up to the next level which is 20 lb test?

Thank you

·
Registered
411 Posts
Braided Line for fishing in the Vedder :evil: :evil: Mono is the better way to go, for braided works best if you are into Flossing/snagging fish :evil: :evil: Fraser is the best place to fish with braided :wink:

·
Banned
279 Posts
My dad uses braid and really likes it. he won't me take it off his reel lol. If you get the green tuf line it isn't to bright and it's extremely sensitive. I use mono however Alot of good fisherman out there use braid. it's a personal opinion. Don't let others tell you what to do use whatever you are most comfortable fishing.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I use braided line 30 lb test equals the thickness of 8 lb mono and you will almost never lose a drennan again.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I fished 6lb leader on 12 lb main last year for coho in the lower river and landed a nice chrome 18-20 lb white spring, so it can be done with lighter gear...however, I wouldn't expect to land as many as with a heavier test... I was targeting coho at the time and the pool was optimal for landing this spring, I likely would have lost it anywhere else.
When I am going after the reds, I would go to 10 lb leader with my 12 main just to be safe. As a rule I prefer to keep my main about 4 lbs test heavier but don't really want to respool so I find this setup works well enough...a longer rod with a little more give helps to turn fish and absorb some of the shock to the line so that you can play them as quickly as with some heavier test, all things to take into consideration I guess....hope that helps.
Rib

·
Registered
612 Posts
Cap_Slayer said:
Braided Line for fishing in the Vedder :evil: :evil: Mono is the better way to go, for braided works best if you are into Flossing/snagging fish :evil: :evil: Fraser is the best place to fish with braided :wink:
And your point is??????
I use braided line for the ability to spool a lot more line on the reel.....It is much more abrasion resistant and has no stretch so you feel every touch on your line...
Plus, if you're bb'ing you feel when they BITE :lol:
Lets not do the flossing = snagging thing again,,its old ,lame and brings out the prick side of most people. :roll:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
No ........ I WON'T GET INTO THE FLOSSING THING EVER BUT .................

Although braided line is widely used in the Fraser, It certainly doesn't need to be used in the Vedder River. Two totally different types of fishing ..... unless your in the habit of using "FRASER RIVER TECHNIQUES" on the Vedder River as some do now. (Notice .... no mention of flossing).

I have never had a problem "feeling the bite" when float fishing with roe, or spoon fishing for Coho in the Vedder.

Yes, you may hook into the occaisional Spring or Big Dog ....... but hey ...... isn't that part of the fun. If you can't land 'em and your using lighter leader ....... lower your rod tip and they will be released instantly. Otherwise ...... have the fish battle of your life ...... now that's the sport of fishing.

Thirty (30) pound leader for what ..... to catch a 5 pound Coho, 10 pound Dog (if that big), granted you may hook into a big Spring but that doesn't make sense. Sounds like a little excessive poundage for people who would call themselves a "Sports Fisherman".

And yes, braided is more abraision resistant ........ as a matter of fact it will be there in the environment for a long, long time. It affects other fisherman when they drift presentations for Steelhead long after the last Spring has been bonked for that year.

In my opinion (because I use very light gear when fishing for Steelhead) it riles me to no end why a person figures they need twice as much poundage for line as the avg. fish that would probably bite. C'mon guys ...... put the sport back in fishing .......... become what you call yourself a "Sports Fisherman (Fisherperson)".

If I can catch a 16 - 20+ pound Steelhead on 8 or 10 pound leader, then surely you masters can can catch a 25 - 35 pounder with 12 or 15 pound mono. Leave the braided nylon in the Fraser ....... leave the 30 - 50 pound mono at home ....... get back to the sport of it all ............. FISHING.

The best attribute for braided line on the Vedder is that you probably will never lose a fish. Not unless the hook lets go or you don't know how to tie a knot. Braided in what 30 pound test? What a joke ....... In My Opinion guides, of all people, should promote fishing sportsmanship, fishing ethics, and fishing etiquette at all times leading by example. At least that's one of the fundamentals I will have with my guide business.

Seems more and more we hear about the lack of sportsmanship and integrity. More and more it seems to include guides.

The day is gone where you can battle a sockeye with 10 pound leader. Snags of Fireline and Braided Nylon 30 - 50 pound test just cut through that test mono. More and more it is being the norm on the Vedder River as well. So very sad.

I ASK YOU ....... Where's the skill???? Where's the excitement???? Where's the enjoyment???? Where's the sport????

Just my own pet peave ....... rant, rant, rant ...

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
411 Posts
To when you use Braided line it never breaks down it is always in the river, to when you snag up on the Junk lightes out. Not only that if some up from you is using it and cross's you line it will cut it like a hot knive through butter.

Plus it kills the eyes on some rods and kills the drum on some reels. Buddies use it but not me, Maxima 12 or 15 main and 6-10 leader. I aint into meat fishing 8) I am a sportsman now but I can go back to the days of Commfishing or fish the native side of me :wink: 8)

Sanderson, sorry dad I didn't know you where on the site he :roll: :roll: Shouldnt you be in the old folks home!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Actually, thousands of very skilled anglers, including world class steelhead guides, use braided line for steelheading.
For floating jigs or any float fishing, most Americans use a spinning reel and a 9- 10 ft rod, loaded with braided line(IT FLOATS). They will sometimes have a mono section of mainline to put their float on and join this to the braided line. Their leader is mono. They then cast quite far up river and reel up slack line as their float passes them(flaoting line aids this, and its very visible too). As there line passes them they will make mends in the line much like flyfishing(floating line aids this), all the while concentrating on a drag free drift. This technique requires the offering (mostly jigs) to be fished well off bottom(2ft +) , to assure a good presentation.
European "prawn" fisherman (float fisherman of amazing skill), use a very similar technique as the Americans, although they prefer mono line, greased to aid in floating. Again fishing well off bottom to achieve the "natural drift".

I use the mono on the rivers(float fishing), mostly out of habit and always doing it that way, but I have withnessed and fished with float fisherman of high skill, who use braided line and use it well. Hooking a steelhead with a fair amount of slack line(from the mending), will make you appreciate the braid much more.
I also am leaning to using it to toss spinners, as the feel is much more sensitive and it cuts water better, not to mention the excellent colors(for visibilty) that it comes in.

I think a number of posters on this thread , need to try these techniques out, before making sweeping accusations that this stuff is only for snaggers and beeks.

Using line that is too heavy and leaving line strewn in the river is not a "braid" problem, this happens with all lines. A bigger problem is BC anglers are frickin DREDGERS, and have alot to learn. If we stop dragging bottom all day we would not be witnessing the mess we have. Try educating the anglers you meet on the river about fishing up in the fishes window, they will be better anglers for it and success will increase.
Unless of course they are intending to scour the bottom, then we all know whats up there, and these types are littering our rivers, braid, mono or otherwise.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
For floating jigs or any float fishing, most Americans use a spinning reel and a 9- 10 ft rod, loaded with braided line(IT FLOATS). They will sometimes have a mono section of mainline to put their float on and join this to the braided line. Their leader is mono.
This is the same setup that I use.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Personally I use mono on the vedder and braided on the Fraser..Mostly for the extra yardage I can cram on the spool..That makes it easier to chase down a spring when he wants to go for a marathon run......
Light gear makes for a lot more fun on the Vedder,but, to each his own I guess....
I would sooner use as light as possible for steelhead as it gives me more of a skills test to get the fish in...
But whatever floats your boat......
The point is, there are all sorts of sporting ways to fish, and then there's a few that aren't..
Nuff said..!!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great stuff! I now know what kind of line Im not to use, how Im not supposed to fish using that line, and where I should not fish using that line! All I need to know now is what type of boat I should not fish out of using that line! Heres a thought- Do what you want and dont tell me about it and Ill do what I want and not tell you about it. As long as we dont break the rules who gives a shit!!!

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
hey ABBY

how come you havent answered my PM's about those reels you said you might have buddy

let me know thanks

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
SANDERSON SAID:
How does it make any difference if you use any lb braid for mainline if your using a lighter leader? Its the exact same thing as using mono main with a light leader. Using braided line is unsporting and unethical? Hello, Looney Bin, I've got another patient for you.

The difference is in the way you fish with it ... note what I said at the start .....

GOFISH SAID:
Although braided line is widely used in the Fraser, It certainly doesn't need to be used in the Vedder River. Two totally different types of fishing ..... unless your in the habit of using "FRASER RIVER TECHNIQUES" on the Vedder River as some do now. (Notice .... no mention of flossing).
What I am saying Sanderson is that when people use Braided or Fireline and fish the same "FLOSSING / BOTTOM DREDGING" .... there ya happy I said it ........ they are not Sport Fishing. Certainly my sanity is not at question here ..... yours ............ maybe. :roll:

IRONHEAD SAID:
I think a number of posters on this thread , need to try these techniques out, before making sweeping accusations that this stuff is only for snaggers and beeks.
I certainly did not call everyone a beak or snagger just because they used braided line ....... but the people that use "FRASER RIVER" techniques on the Vedder while using braided line certainly are. Just stand on the Bailey Bridge and watch the beaks put on another gong show this summer. Hey is that Sanderson down there ......... smile & wave. :lol:

I am certainly not closed minded when it comes to new techniques and have tried many ..... but what I am saying is that Fire Line & Braided Nylon remain in the river for a very long time. Once it is there on a snag it cuts through mono like butter. It affects Steelhead fishing when people break off when using it bottom dredging for salmon in the Vedder. This also causes a problem when they leave long lengths on the shores that eventually end up in the river flow.

If you notice Ironhead I'm was referring to people using line that is well beyond the poundage needed for the size of fish they would most likely catch. 30 lb Fireline or Braided Nylon is certainly not required in the Vedder. And again I'm not condemming new techniques of fishing with it .......... what I am sure of though is the "thousands of very skilled anglers, including world class steelhead guides" that you are referring to use a reasonable poundage considering the size of fish. IN MY OPINION, (and I'm entitled to it), reasonable would be 1/2 or that which equals the avg. fish you would usually catch.

Don't get me started on the garbage line (of all kinds) that people leave on the river. I take a pile off the river everytime I go out. *** NOTE THIS IS ALL KINDS OF LINE ***

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Original post by Go Fish

No ........ I WON'T GET INTO THE FLOSSING THING EVER BUT .................

I have never had a problem "feeling the bite" when float fishing with roe, or spoon fishing for Coho in the Vedder.

Yes, you may hook into the occaisional Spring or Big Dog ....... but hey ...... isn't that part of the fun. If you can't land 'em and your using lighter leader ....... lower your rod tip and they will be released instantly. Otherwise ...... have the fish battle of your life ...... now that's the sport of fishing.

Thirty (30) pound leader for what ..... to catch a 5 pound Coho, 10 pound Dog (if that big), granted you may hook into a big Spring but that doesn't make sense. Sounds like a little excessive poundage for people who would call themselves a "Sports Fisherman".

And yes, braided is more abraision resistant ........ as a matter of fact it will be there in the environment for a long, long time. It affects other fisherman when they drift presentations for Steelhead long after the last Spring has been bonked for that year.

In my opinion (because I use very light gear when fishing for Steelhead) it riles me to no end why a person figures they need twice as much poundage for line as the avg. fish that would probably bite. C'mon guys ...... put the sport back in fishing .......... become what you call yourself a "Sports Fisherman (Fisherperson)".

If I can catch a 16 - 20+ pound Steelhead on 8 or 10 pound leader, then surely you masters can can catch a 25 - 35 pounder with 12 or 15 pound mono. Leave the braided nylon in the Fraser ....... leave the 30 - 50 pound mono at home ....... get back to the sport of it all ............. FISHING.

The best attribute for braided line on the Vedder is that you probably will never lose a fish. Not unless the hook lets go or you don't know how to tie a knot. Braided in what 30 pound test? What a joke ....... In My Opinion guides, of all people, should promote fishing sportsmanship, fishing ethics, and fishing etiquette at all times leading by example. At least that's one of the fundamentals I will have with my guide business.

Seems more and more we hear about the lack of sportsmanship and integrity. More and more it seems to include guides.

The day is gone where you can battle a sockeye with 10 pound leader. Snags of Fireline and Braided Nylon 30 - 50 pound test just cut through that test mono. More and more it is being the norm on the Vedder River as well. So very sad.

I ASK YOU ....... Where's the skill???? Where's the excitement???? Where's the enjoyment???? Where's the sport????

Just my own pet peave ....... rant, rant, rant ...

Go Fish, your comments regarding people using line that is too strong and leaving the river strewn with line and crap, is something we all agree to. HOWEVER, you quite obviously missed the point of this thread and clearly labelled braided line, as the tool of the dredger and associated its use with unsavory fishing styles. I recall nothing in the thread previous to your post, that talked about use of 30 lb leaders or 50 lb mainline and all the other stuff you posted about. I just read the stuff(you wrote) which applied to this thread and the bottom line was, good fishernman do not use braid because its not needed.
I think you should consider your post again and how it relates to this discussion. Great fisherman use braid, not just for MEATING in snagged fish on the Fraser. There are many situations that warrant its use. To post a RANT which is off topic and IMO founded from lack of experience is both confusing and mis directing to young and newer anglers.
From your post it would seem the use of braided line is unsporting if its used in heavier weights :shock: . So what do you use on your bar fishing rods , how about backtrolling plugs :?: , I use 50 lb braid , am I unethical , unsporting??. In fact I would never use mono again for any of these techniques.
I hope the anglers who read this post will disregard some of the mis-infornation, posted, regarding the use of braided line. It can be an excellent choice for any style of fishing. It should be used(JUST LIKE MONO) in a weight that makes sense to the species you are after. Although, you will most likely be using a lb test , that is stronger than what you would use in mono, as braid is thinner and will take much more line $$$$, than filling your reel with mono. THATS OK, there is nothing wrong with fishing 30 lb braid for steelhead, just use the appropriate leader strength for the fish your after. I use leaders from 6lb- 25 lb for steelheading, they are seldom leader shy and some strains of these fish require the heavy leader :wink: .
GO FISH , you mentioned how sporting it was to use 10 lb mono for sockeye :roll: . I find that statement strange as snagging fish is hardly sporting to begin with. Why wouldn't anglers who are strictly in it for the meat , use a lb test , that will assure them of landing a Spring or huge sock if the situation arises. As far as losing large quantitys of line in the river, this has nothing to do with the strength of the main line. If you are losing mainline, YOU ARE SET UP WRONG, having a high strength mainline and a much lower strength leader is the simple way to insure you lose only your leader and weight. Its all about the way you rig up, your weight should be attached to your swivel and have a snap on it (so this can straighten and release the weight). In conjuction with say a 25 lb leader and 50 lb braid, you will only lose leaders and weight and this will be more friendly to the river than losing large chunks of mono. I only suggest the large leader strength because you will end up hooking a spring sooner or later and I'm sure you would hope to land it.
I personally do not bottom bounce, nor do I condone it, in fact I despise the act and all the CRAP that it has brought out. But I think it is important that anglers who will do it, do it right, to leave as little a scar on the river as possible.
Using braid is a choice, it is a very GOOD choice in many instances. Do not let others dictate your choices, try it and you will discover if you like it or not. My experience has shown me many BC anglers are caught in a time warp and NEW gear and techniques,are very hard for them to accept. Experimentation and trying new techniques, is the backbone of a great angler,line choice , as with lure choice is just part of this.
Who knows, maybe some guys will finally evolve a little and start using plugs on the Fraser :wink: , or float fish jigs for steelhead and salmon, or maybe use BRAID for mainline :lol: .
As Bill Herzog stated "all of us, know more, than any one".
[/u]

On the topic of braided line. I use "power pro"(green stuff) exclusively now, for my bar rods(50lb with 15lb mono diameter) and Sturgeon rods(150 lb). Gonna try 30lb Power pro on the steelhead spinner rod, I will report back after the summer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
25lb main with 15-20lb leader for the fraser mono of course. all smaller rivers 12-20lb main 8-12 lb leader nothing more. anything over these line tests if in my eyes is excessive, the only time u should use braided line is if you are fishing for sturgeon. fishing cant have the same adrenaline rush if u are using braided line cause theres no possibilty of loosing the fish unless it pops the hook. u might aswell use a net.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts