BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a number of fishermen fishing from fairly high cliffs and rock outcroppings along the Capilano River. I could never figure out how they intended to bring in any fish of decent size if they got one, nor how they intended to release ones that needed to be released if they ever got them up along the cliff to begin with. I suspect dropping the fish from the heights I've seen would lead to their death. Does anybody have any insight on this?

· Banned
2,854 Posts
I have witnessed guys there doing exactly what you think. dropping the fish from 30feet up back into the water. most of them do use heavy test line so they can bring the fish up that height while its flailing around trying to get loose. I dont understand the logistics behind this or why they are allowed to do this. I have fished there but i climbed down to the big rock (which might be under water right now) and fished from there. I dont fish the Capilano often or at all anymore because i dont relish the idea of climbing down cliff edges for a fish or a chance at drowning. If i go there i stick the lower reaches.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. I know form my previous readings that taking fish out of the water can do damage to their internal organs (especially larger fish), so dropping them back down (if not keepers) from these heights is both cruel and no-productive, in my opinion.

· Registered
33 Posts
CaptainDave said:
I've noticed a number of fishermen fishing from fairly high cliffs and rock outcroppings along the Capilano River. I could never figure out how they intended to bring in any fish of decent size if they got one, nor how they intended to release ones that needed to be released if they ever got them up along the cliff to begin with. I suspect dropping the fish from the heights I've seen would lead to their death. Does anybody have any insight on this?
Happens on the cliff area above Alison Pool in the Vedder too. There is clearly no substitute for 80 pound fire line on a medium weight rod!!

· Banned
2,854 Posts
on the Vedder "cliffs" you can get down to the water though. Where as the cliffs on the Capilano (specifically the ones at the cable pool) you can get down but not with a rod in your hands or a fish on thats for sure. I mean you can try but i bet you would fall and get hurt really badly so i would not advise to try.

If you do fish the Capilano river please be extremely careful climbing into and out of these canyon pools. We lose a few guys to this river yearly due to falling and drowning :'(

· Registered
940 Posts
Being a steward of the sport involves much more than hooking and fighting the fish. The livelihood of the fish needs to be first and foremost, priority one. If you can not safely bring the fish to hand, for a proper release, it is the responsibility of the angler to seek a different place to fish for them. Regardless of how "cool" it might be to hook a fish from a higher vantage point. The strain that is placed on the fish while pulling them up to the higher elevations, and then dropped back into the water, are a certain death sentence for them.

It is about respecting the fish for more than a brief fight, but instead respecting them for their long term survival chances.

Thrasher

· Registered
1,702 Posts
well i can attest to how sharp some of the rocks are, and how bad it feels to fall, i fell in and lost all my stuff in a canyon hole just above the suspension bridge, i advice everyone that if climbing the rock walls, wear felt or studs, not rubber, ur in big trouble with the amount of slime and moss. Sometimes being a mountain goat pays off!

· Registered
883 Posts
barskull said:
You guys should have seen the carnage that went on when you could fish above the 112th bridge on Kanaka way back when, what a joke that was.... Alot of large cutties met their demise getting chucked off the cliff! >:D >:D
no kidding. that was one of the biggest jokes I have ever seen. >:D

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I strongly believe every one of us needs to address not only where a good place to fish is, but the various scenarios of a.) How and where can we land the fish and b.) How can we gently release it if necessary. If we do not have good reasons for BOTH of these, then move on to another place that allows us to do the right thing. What I've seen on these cliffs, and other areas, leads me to believe we have a ways to go in this department.

· Registered
102 Posts
I was at the Cap a few years ago for the very first time, and was at the cable pool. I felt very unsure fishing from a cliff. Packed my bags after 1/2 hr and never will I fish near or around that area.

Just too dangerous as felt that I could slip, and insane to try and land a fish from up there.

Insane how people continue fishing from up there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.