BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding fishing licenses...

If I am teaching some to cast down by the river or even into the river so we don't get snagged up on rocks, etc, but we are not using a hook would the guy need to have a fishing license ???

I would think no, but I want to be safe just in case. Any opinions ???

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I don't think he would as he is not fishing. That said are you teaching him to cast because he is going to go fishing in the near future? If so, why not get a license anyway, so that after an hour of practice, you could put a hook on and see if the lessons produce anything?

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
I would take what they both said and slap it all together. Get him a licence and take him fishing. I mean getting into some fish will help get him interested in the sport more then just learning how :cheers: If you dont wanna do that then i would for sure call in and ask like FF said, best to get it from the horses mouth (so to speak)

·
Registered
901 Posts
not being funny or anything here
but you don't need a hook to be fishing

here is a scenario that might clear this up
Your buddy is casting into the water without a hook and he get snagged on the bottom
in the mean time along comes Mr DFO
your buddy snaps his line and thentries to explain to the DFO that he did not have a hook on :wallbash:
see where i am going with this

Just like prof said just get a licence then the person can fish too
if he just wants to learn to cast, dint go near water

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok guys... thanks. And Britguy, good point :confused:

Yes prof he just wants to learn to cast because he wants to start fishing soon. I will probably just tell him to get an annual license because he wants to start fishing now since he is retired. :thumbup:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the thing is... I liek being out at the river fishing, and I just though he could come along. This will be his first time out so I just wanna get him on the basics like casting and reading water a bit. Maybe we will find a sand bar. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I can't tell you how many times I have caught a salmon/steelhead or other fish on the first cast......I would teach him how to play a fish with the right tension on the reel, never give up slack line etc. and you hang onto the line and play "the first cast fish"...Tell him to get a license, gear up and hit the flow....When you have practiced some casting on dry land, tell him to drop his float right there........You never know, bro'.....Casting into a body of water without a hook is like trying to drink scotch without removing the cork. ;).....Ortho 8)

·
Registered
517 Posts
fishortho said:
I can't tell you how many times I have caught a salmon/steelhead or other fish on the first cast......I would teach him how to play a fish with the right tension on the reel, never give up slack line etc. and you hang onto the line and play "the first cast fish"...Tell him to get a license, gear up and hit the flow....When you have practiced some casting on dry land, tell him to drop his float right there........You never know, bro'.....Casting into a body of water without a hook is like trying to drink scotch without removing the cork. ;).....Ortho 8)
I think Ortho made an excellent point, it is nto just about casting. to the suggestions above I will only add the following: if you can, try to go to the river when there are no 20 people around you sharing the same spot, or try to find a place where he is free to have any reasonable mistake while casting.

G

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.